Hills, Mich - Auburn
Hills, Mich., Oct 1, 2001 - The Chrysler Group announces the opening
of "The Mighty Jeep®: A Legend Turns 60" exhibit
at the Walter P. Chrysler Museum, commemorating six decades of
unrivaled Jeep 4x4 leadership, innovation and success. First opening
to the public on October 2nd, this five-month display is comprised
of historical vehicles, vintage Jeep brand collectibles and a
sampling of books through the decades.
after time Jeep vehicles have defined the sport-utility segment
with industry firsts, yet however innovative the technology, the
legendary Jeep brand never wavers from its roots of authentic
four-wheel drive capability and exceptional on-road performance,"
said Bernard Robertson, Senior Vice President, Engineering Technologies
and Regulatory Affairs and Chairman of the Walter P. Chrysler
Museum Board. "The Walter P. Chrysler Museum display features
six decades of Jeep vehicles and collectibles, providing the public
a wonderful opportunity to see the making of the Jeep legend."
beginning early last year, this special exhibit includes 26 historical
Jeep vehicles, Jeep toys and novelties and display boards with
Jeep advertisements, cartoons and famous Jeep owners. The toys
and novelties have origins from around the world, with a stainless
steel cigarette box and lighter in the shape of a Jeep vehicle
from Germany and a Dinky die cast toy Commando Jeep from England.
Books including the
1944 children's story "The Little Jeep" by Peggy Griffin
Ayers and "Jerry the Jeep" by Edith Thacher Hurd are
also on display. The progression of Jeep slogans from the 1940's
"The Sun Never Sets On The Mighty Jeep" to the current
"Jeep, There's Only One," will hang from the ceiling.
of 25 historical Jeep vehicles includes representation from the
very beginning of the Jeep brand with the Willys MB and CJ-2A.
The Jeep brand began its journey on July 23, 1941, when Willys-Overland
of Toledo, Ohio, landed a contract with the United States Army
to produce the Willys MB during World War II. The first civilian
Jeep vehicle, the versatile CJ-2A, was introduced in 1945. Priced
at $1,090, it offered luxury features like a tailgate and automatic
A number of
other vehicles representing industry firsts are also on display.
A 1949 Jeep All-Steel Station Wagon, first introduced in 1946,
was the industry's first all-steel station wagon. From the 1960's,
a 1969 J series Gladiator pickup is an example of the J series
Jeep vehicles that were the first in the automotive industry to
offer the combination of four-wheel drive and an automatic transmission.
A 1977 Wagoneer, first presented in 1973, introduced another Jeep
exclusive: Quadra Trac® , the first completely automatic full-time
four-wheel-drive system. A 1984 Jeep Cherokee (XJ) is part of
the exhibition as the model that started the compact SUV boom.
It was the only compact unitized construction SUV with four doors
and a choice of shift-on-the-fly Command Trac® or Selec Trac®
planned to replace the Cherokee, Jeep once again established itself
as a benchmark for the industry with the introduction of the Jeep
Grand Cherokee for 1992. The 1991 Concept 1, the predecessor to
the Jeep Grand Cherokee, is on display as part of this special
worth of innovative technologies, continuous refinement and a
solid reputation have made the Jeep brand the most widely known
and respected, go-anywhere, do-anything name in the entire sport-utility
As more automakers add sport-utility vehicles to their product
lines, Jeep stands out as the only U.S. brand that has been producing
four-wheel drive vehicles for 60 years.
Be it a compact, mid-sized or luxury sport-utility vehicle, the
Jeep brand's focus is to provide a trademark design, hallmark
ruggedness and capability, and a new level of refinement.
P. Chrysler Museum is open Tuesday through Saturday from 10 a.m.
to 6 p.m., and Sunday from noon to 6 p.m. Parking is free and
available on site. General admission is $6, senior citizens (62
and over), children (6-12) are $3, DaimlerChrysler employees and
retirees and children five and under are free. School groups and
tour buses are welcome. Special rates are available. Please call
888-456-1924 or visit www.chryslerheritage.com for more information.
P. Chrysler Museum opened to the public October 5, 1999 and is
the only full-fledged museum maintained by an active North American
auto manufacturer. The tri-level building covers approximately
55,000 square feet and rests on 10 acres at the southeast edge
of DaimlerChrysler's North American headquarters in Auburn Hills,
Mich. Along with showcasing 65 vehicles that illustrate the American
heritage of DaimlerChrysler, the Museum educates and engages visitors
with interactive exhibits and displays that bring life to the
automaker's rich history.