Shout Out From Vermont

This site earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

VTFJ

Loves Light Bars
Oct 28, 2013
Vermont
Jumping back into the game of wheeling/rock crawling after an almost three year dry spell.
In one word, read 'divorce' and most everybody gets the picture but hey...things are back on track and I've got a new ride to build on!

Coming off a 1st gen K5 w/tons, triple sticks, fuel cell, injected 383 on 42's...blah/blah/blah etc.

Found & purchased a '75 FJ40 that's had some work done already, some decent work but as usual some that needs attention too.

It's got the original I-6 that does run pretty decent and has a header & Weber carb upgrades.
It's running on 35's, has a winch/spare & fuel carrier and it even included a high lift - lol
One cool thing they did was swap in an SM420 with crawler 1st and 2nd gears in the tranny making slow crawl a breeze.
Both axles are locked also, front has a Genuine Gear and the rear a full case Detroit :)

Road manners suck, it's top speed is about 50mph (if you dare go that fast) but I expect the Detroit is giving me some of the 'crabbing feeling' as I shift.

Time to start picking away at it, my goal is to run 37's as a final set up with both good road manners 'and' enough power to make highway travel easy & safe.
Not sure yet if a V8 swap is the way to go, still researching that.

Anyway, glad I found this site, looks pretty wicked!

Couple pics of the new ride:

aimages.craigslist.org_01010_l5ndNYV6oM4_600x450.jpg

aimages.craigslist.org_00n0n_4PFfuaQKSEC_600x450.jpg

aimages.craigslist.org_00J0J_dDZFtuuCCRW_600x450.jpg

aimages.craigslist.org_00M0M_jJiTZOJyGb0_600x450.jpg

sweet new ride, always a big fan of the FJ40 :)

First step for 37's will be an SOA...should keep you busy for a few weeks ;)

Welcome to RC, drag a few friends along for the ride!

don't forget the dreaded cut and turn :) Nitro/s/Longfields, Aisin lockouts, 6-shooters, etc...

Been there, done that...do it right the first time...my old 40 on 39's handled great at 70mph and tackled most trails with ease.

Falken Tire has a new 37" MT being debuted at SEMA...watch for an article on it...might be one to consider!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom