Build 1963 International Scout 80

This site earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mace

Spotter Required
Staff member
Oct 20, 2010
Las Vegas
So I picked up a 63 Scout 80. It's not exactly typical. I think it was in the mid east and then brought back to the USA for some reason or another. The whole reason for this build is for my son as a daily driver when he turns 16. I figure, if the boy has a vested interest in the car, he may treat it better. If nothing else, He'll be able to fix the damn thing when he does something stupid ;)

Here is a pic when we first got it.
ai169.photobucket.com_albums_u218_mace_pics_International_20scout_DSC_0373_zps7146c819.jpg

The top is odd, as is the pads on the rear fenderwells. I'll be picking up one of the original build sheets that are available. That may tell me a thing or two about it. Hopefully.. Originally, it was some shade of metallic green. Kinda interesting, but it will eventually be a non metallic red with tan Monstaliner in the bed.

Once home, we got to work on the thing making sure that it was able to be rolled around. The brakes were almost frozen in all wheels. So we spent some time pulling all the drums off and removing the pads.

ascontent_a_lax.xx.fbcdn.net_hphotos_ash3_1394428_10201746211931065_683289123_n.jpg

I figure that a 10 year old needs some direction on how a vehicle works..
What we have been discussing is a 4.3 to either some sort of auto (700R4 or 4l60) or a nv3500. I'd prefer a manual, but they suck, and a NV4500 is not in the cards. Tcase will either be the stock Dana 18 or a LC split tcase. That depends on what is available, and how much adapters cost. Axles will be Toyota, either Cruiser (60 or 40) or mini depending on axle width needs.

LOTS of plans for this rig. Stay tuned (and it will be a stretch) for updates. I'll try to keep moving, but it may be a bit of time between mods. This will not be a 10 day KOH build...

Picked up the original line ticket for it. The scout was originally sent to Morocco Africa without a top :)
FC47133-1.jpg
FC47133-4.jpg

My 62 has a v8 because that was in the frame when I started. It takes a lot of firewall work to fit. V6 would be a good choice. Have to move the tranny and engine mounts forward to clear the wall.

350/360/351 would be cool, but fitting a V8 in a Scout 80 is not fun. Additionally, this truck is going to be a first vehicle for my son. So, to that end, I do NOT want it to be powerful. But I do want it to be able to get out of it's own way. 4.3 is a good alternative that will move around well, get okay mileage, and hopefully keep him safe.

The fuel filler is hooked up to some sort of tank that is sitting in the bed of the truck. Super ghetto.. It's one of the things that WILL be taken out.

The 11 gal stock tank is coming out as well. Going to go with an Isuzu Trooper II 19 gal tank under the bed of the truck.

Here are some more pictures of the truck. I'll keep taking more and update the photobucket account with some of the more interesting pics posted here.

http://s169.photobucket.com/user/mace_pics/library/International scout

BTW, per the build sheet, it's a 62 not a 63 :)

I've also picked up a new tailgate (this one was a bit on the rusty side). And am working on a new set of doors. Someone had decided that Fiberglass insulation was a good idea in the doors. The rust at the bottom of the PERFECTLY solid otherwise doors is hideous.

I've decided to use a radius arms suspension in the front with coilovers. Now I need to figure out if I want to use 80 series LC arms or some Rover arms. Both are pretty much the same, but the rover arms mount a bit higher to the frame in relation to the axle.

Hey Chevy stuff is a good way to go. Don't count out the 305. Find them all over. More than a 4.3 less than a 350 just as good or better on gas. Spare tank must be a African thing. My 62 had a tank on both sides. 72 Chevy blazer tank under the back end now.

ahhh, my current plan is to use a pathfinder rear tank. They seem to fit very well.

I never got the guy with the trailer to call me back unfortunately. So, no love there...

I did pick up a 2004 Vortec V6 mostly complete. Should be a good starter motor, but I'm not going to run the multi port fuel injection that it came with. Instead I'm going to get a carb intake manifold for the motor and convert it to TBI. The run a 700R4 behind the TBI and call it good. It'll be simple, and bulletproof.

aforum_ih8mud_com_attachment_php_9a6c03fbb47a4a2f40cadd03a00c8d5c._.jpg

aforum_ih8mud_com_attachment_php_edef242957267eaabd1cba248ef06a11._.jpg

I had a Holley Pro Jection on the Bronco for a short while. All I can say is that it ran...until the injectors decided to stick in the full-on position. Filled the intake manifold with fuel and...well...flames! Been a little sour on throttle bodies ever since. I'm expecting your factory setup to be far superior to the Holley.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom