matzell's Ultra4 mod class 4runner

This site earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

matzell

Loves Light Bars
Jan 31, 2012
100_2526.JPG
RCQ 2012.jpg
100_2516.JPG
100_2517.JPG
100_2527.JPG
Well, after watching the last 3 KOH races live and numerous east coast races at Rausch Creek, I decided I wanted to go racing. I got my feet wet the hard way in an unlimited car out at the Badlands track in Attic, IN. I enjoyed a good 2 days of prerunning and the first lap of the race. On the 2nd lap we hit the big jump and did not land too well. I got a medflight ride to the hospital and ended up with a broken scapula, 4 broken ribs and 11 fractured vertebre. I was out of work for two months recovering and all I could think about was racing again. My wife has been very supportive and told me to go for it.

I decided to start off a little slower than I did the first time. I took my trail truck that I had been wheeling for the past 15 years and made it a racer. I just finished competing in the RCQ race at Rausch Creek. We had two good laps but on the final lap a stock dana 60 steering nuckle let loose and we lost all steering. We ended up getting 2nd place in class and 23 overall, going further than 10 Unlimited class Ultra4 cars.

View attachment 416View attachment 417View attachment 418View attachment 419 Well, after watching the last 3 KOH races live and numerous east coast races at Rausch Creek, I decided I wanted to go racing. I got my feet wet the hard way in an unlimited car out at the Badlands track in Attic, IN. I enjoyed a good 2 days of prerunning and the first lap of the race. On the 2nd lap we hit the big jump and did not land too well. I got a medflight ride to the hospital and ended up with a broken scapula, 4 broken ribs and 11 fractured vertebre. I was out of work for two months recovering and all I could think about was racing again. My wife has been very supportive and told me to go for it.

I decided to start off a little slower than I did the first time. I took my trail truck that I had been wheeling for the past 15 years and made it a racer. I just finished competing in the RCQ race at Rausch Creek. We had two good laps but on the final lap a stock dana 60 steering nuckle let loose and we lost all steering. We ended up getting 2nd place in class and 23 overall, going further than 10 Unlimited class Ultra4 cars.

Basic specs on the rig: tbi chevy 4.3, 4l60 trans, NWF Blackbox, NP205, Dana 60 front, ARB, 5:38's, 35 spline Yukon shafts, Poly Performance drive slugs, 14b rear, 5:38's, Detroit, disk brakes, 37 BFG Krawlers, Raceline Monster wheels

If you make it to a race or see me out on the trials stop by and say Hi!

Rob Matzell

sweet and simple :)

Racing only at Rausch, or do you get further West as well?

I should put the welder to my FJ40 and race that...hmmm....

sweet and simple :)

Racing only at Rausch, or do you get further West as well?

I should put the welder to my FJ40 and race that...hmmm....
Badlands is a maybe. I need to look at the budget. I am planning on the August RC race and then get ready for the EMC race, thursday before KOH this year. I may look into the Line Mountain series as well.

We tried welding the knuckle on the trail with my Premier Power welder. I did not have the proper rods so it did not stick. I have a set of Reid knuckles on the way to eleviate that problem.

Assuming KOH main race is February 8, UTV is the 7th, and LCQ is the 5th and 6th, the EMC is the 31st? (or, is the UTV race dropped and it's the 7th...)

Haven't seen a tentative schedule yet...WILL be nice to have it relatively early

Assuming KOH main race is February 8, UTV is the 7th, and LCQ is the 5th and 6th, the EMC is the 31st? (or, is the UTV race dropped and it's the 7th...)

Haven't seen a tentative schedule yet...WILL be nice to have it relatively early
I am not sure but I think the UTV's and the EMC race are both thursday. a day before the big race. According to Dave Cole, he told me that we would race thursday, Unlimited guys would race on friday.

I am not sure but I think the UTV's and the EMC race are both thursday. a day before the big race. According to Dave Cole, he told me that we would race thursday, Unlimited guys would race on friday.
I received a package today from Reid Racing. I would like to welcome them to the Matzell Motorsports team and thank them for their support through their race program. I picked up their knuckles, bronze kingpin bushings, ARP studs and Spicer spindle bolts. I think my broken knuckle problems are over!!!
100_2531.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom