Front 4 link Air Shock Set-up

This site earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dirtbag1

Spotter Required
May 11, 2023
Temecula California
I'm currently at the point to start figuring out where and how i'm going to mount and position my Air shocks on my front axle. 4 links and mounting is all there and I have a ruff idea of where I wan't ride height and belly clearance to be. My plan is to set the axle at full bump and start there. This is my first time with doing a full set-up with 4 link and air shocks. That being said what am I forgetting or can any of you that have experience with setting this up give me any pointers or don't forgets!! Thanks in advance for helping the newbie out!!

Bump is around 25% of stroke...so a 16" shock needs 4" of bump. You can go 3" for crawling, 5-6" for more "speed".

Over oil by 5cc or so. Nitrogen is set at full extension.

Bump is around 25% of stroke...so a 16" shock needs 4" of bump. You can go 3" for crawling, 5-6" for more "speed".

Over oil by 5cc or so. Nitrogen is set at full extension.
Ok so is this why you don't have to run an actual bump stop or are they built in to the radflos? Or is this just how the air shock works? Again sorry for the stupid questions I just have never ran the air shocks before, and want to understand it correctly. I have 14inch 2.5 Radflos.

I overoil my air shocks by 5-10cc above "full"...and that becomes the bump. Terrible idea for "fast" runs, but with my 20mph top speed, it's been a non issue.

I overoil my air shocks by 5-10cc above "full"...and that becomes the bump. Terrible idea for "fast" runs, but with my 20mph top speed, it's been a non issue.
Gotcha! That was sorta what I was thinking it was how they worked, assuming it’s the same a full extension and not running limit straps? I plan on following your way of setting them up as you described earlier in the post! Not planning on anything fast! Thanks again for the help and better understanding!!

I don't run limit straps, and with my 2.5's and low pressure, it hasn't been an issue. I DO know wheelers who have busted/overextended their shocks.

Valiving is key. A tire/wheel/axle WITH WATER is significantly heavier than without, and the valiving needs to be customized to match. Standard valving is just that...standard. Unsure if any will know what to do to valve for YOUR car and setup.

I think I will start off with how you are saying to set them up. I take her out and do some trails and maybe do a little trial and error with oil level and PSI to see what works best for MY set up. I just didn't want to damage anything from not knowing the basics. Thanks. Also what oil do you run, I was gonna order some of Radflo's oil but didn't know if it was all the same or is there specific weight for them?
I don't run limit straps, and with my 2.5's and low pressure, it hasn't been an issue. I DO know wheelers who have busted/overextended their shocks.

Valiving is key. A tire/wheel/axle WITH WATER is significantly heavier than without, and the valiving needs to be customized to match. Standard valving is just that...standard. Unsure if any will know what to do to valve for YOUR car and setup.

I think I will start off with how you are saying to set them up. I take her out and do some trails and maybe do a little trial and error with oil level and PSI to see what works best for MY set up. I just didn't want to damage anything from not knowing the basics. Thanks. Also what oil do you run, I was gonna order some of Radflo's oil but didn't know if it was all the same or is there specific weight for them?
We use King oil when we revalved mine. They are all different, best to keep it consistent.

Radflo's were set up well out of the box, just add nitrogen. The only first-run change I'd make is the 5-10cc of overoiling to prevent bottoming out.

If you don't have your own Nitrogen fill setup, get one. PITA when you don't, I'll adjust for a bit more ride height for certain terrain (ie: hammers).

We use King oil when we revalved mine. They are all different, best to keep it consistent.

Radflo's were set up well out of the box, just add nitrogen. The only first-run change I'd make is the 5-10cc of overoiling to prevent bottoming out.

If you don't have your own Nitrogen fill setup, get one. PITA when you don't, I'll adjust for a bit more ride height for certain terrain (ie: hammers).
Right on thanks again!! I have made up a Nitrogen tank with regulator and got a fox fill deal that my buddy gave me cuz he doesn't use it anymore, so think im ready just ordered some oil from radflo. Thanks for the help!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom