Hydro steering ram STOPS?

This site earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dirtbag1

Spotter Required
May 11, 2023
Temecula California
I am setting up full hydro steering on my new build with Toyota axles. My ram is 8 inch and toyota axles will not turn that far so need to limit the ram. From a few things I have read people are using delrin plastic tube on the ram-rod to take up the extra and STOP the ram before it tears everything up. Anyone use this method or have a better method for this? Thanks

I know of some double-end rams that ran the internal delrin stops. Single end, not sure...but should work similar. Either way, you get to tear down and reassemble the ram, may as well get the seals just in case. Far easier to get one that is the correct length :)

I know of some double-end rams that ran the internal delrin stops. Single end, not sure...but should work similar. Either way, you get to tear down and reassemble the ram, may as well get the seals just in case. Far easier to get one that is the correct length :)
The conversation I was reading about was using the delrin on the outside. The HD ram for 40inch tires I could not get in the 6 inch length smallest was 8 inch.

The conversation I was reading about was using the delrin on the outside. The HD ram for 40inch tires I could not get in the 6 inch length smallest was 8 inch.
just be SURE you have a good stop where the heim attached at the end of the shaft. Ideally it stays put and doesn't float and wear the shaft.

Sasquatch Motorsports in Hurricane UT was developing a ram limiter for the portal cars, might be worth contacting them. Guessing they are using a thick washer behind the heim jam nut and a spacer/block over the shaft to limit the stroke. Should work just as well single as double. Their design was to prevent oversteering the 45/50 degree CV's.

Something to consider limiting externally is the potential to force debris into your shaft seal area. It's not hard to disassemble a cylinder and use some aluminum or delrin or similar pucks to limit internally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom