RockCrawler.com Jason Scherer Finishes With Brand New Car at Ultra4 Stampede

This site earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Friese-Images-Jason-Scherer-Stampede-3.jpg DANVILLE, CA JUNE 10, 2014 Jason Scherer’s brand new IFS car is going to be a strong contender in the upcoming Ultra4 series races, as proven by it’s excellent performance at this weekends MetalCloak Ultra4 Stampede race. Started a short 3 months ago after the finish of the King of the Hammers, “The Gavel” hit dirt for the very first time on it’s way to Friday’s Tech Inspection where it passed with flying colors. Scherer finished 12th in the main event, after racing up to the lead with just a half of lap to go. “It was great to see Tom Wayes in the winners circle in the same car that won last years Stampede!” said Jason Scherer, the 2013 MetalCloak Stampede winner. “We had our fair share of little issues that we had to work out on the new car this weekend. Today’s race was a bit bittersweet, knowing the car is awesome and with a little tuning is a top contender. But, also knowing that just making a normal pass or probably following the lapper would have been good enough for the win in the car’s debut race. A little prep, some tuning, and some small mods and we will be ready for Glen Helen on July 11th!”

Jason Scherer’s #76 Rubicon Express, Nitto Tire silver car had its battles on and off the track. Starting out with overheating during the laps to get fastest times for prelims, it would cool and then overheat about 2 times per lap. Thanks to the Gomez race team, they were able to create a vacuum and refill the system adding an entire extra gallon of water into the system. In the qualifying heat, Jason would hit the rocker switch for the fans turning them off while restarting the car after stalling. The car overheated before he realized the self-created issue and lost water. Taking it easy, getting it out of limp mode, he noticed there was a vibration, related later to a hot transmission. The input shaft on the transfer case was pushing on the transmission and had lost the seal, losing all the fluid and eventually the forward drive. Jason limped the car off the track and onto the trailer where they spent all night at his home shop working on the car.

Friese-Images-Jason-Scherer-Stampede-4.jpg

The team consisting of Jason, Brian Farris, Brett and Chad Lujan, “durka durka” Jonathan Haniger, Angel Finder Phil Smith worked all night pulling and rebuilding the Atlas adding a snap ring and installing a “heater core” to the factory ports of the water pump using a large CBR oil cooler to help the radiator gain some additional cooling capacity. Come morning sun, it was time to load up and head back to Prairie City, just outside of Sacramento, to race the LCQ and make it into the main.

Brian Kirby was onsite when they arrived to do some quick shock adjustments on the Fox Shox before LCQ, then Jason jumped on the track with confidence and showed the crowd what the car is capable of: a win in his heat.

“The main was exciting, from the start to the finish,” said Jason. “I’ve started in the back a few times and it’s always tough when you have to rely on a little bit of luck to get you past the traffic jam, I’ve been on both sides. This was one of those lucky times where my line opened up in front of me and let me pass 9 people on lap one, and work my way up to 4th by lap 2 and then into 3rd by lap 3.” Racing side-by-side with Loren Healy, Loren would pull away in sections and then Jason’s Pacific Fabrication horsepower engine would pull on the straight away. After the mandatory caution yellow flag, Shannon Campbell had car issues and left Jason and Loren to race to the finish. “I was trying to be nice to a fellow competitor that was lap traffic and get on the horn to let them know I was coming when my arm bounced and I killed the fuel pump and ignition. I turned them back on and the motor wouldn’t start…just the sound of a grinding starter. When it did refire, I was in limp mode for some reason and I sat there and watched 11 cars pass trying to figure out what was going on. For some reason it came back to life again and I finished the race in 12th place.”

Although there was no rest for the team, Jason Scherer was excited to have this weekend’s MetalCloak Ultra4 Stampede race so close to his home and the home of Rubicon Express at Prairie City SVRA in Rancho Cordova, CA. Jason is looking forward to some R&R in his Rubicon Express JK, now outfitted with Savvy Off Road half doors.

Before the race, Jason said: “I am going into this race being realistic about the outcome. We will essentially be running the car for the first time, and although I am the most confident in what we have built, there are always those variables that happen,” said Scherer. “I would like to sincerely thank all of the guys that have dedicated their personal time to building this car and to all of the suppliers that have gotten us parts in the time frame that we needed them to complete this build. This was a huge team effort and I am looking forward to putting the car on the track and proving that our concept works!” Consensus has it the concept is now proven.

Final results of the Ultra4 Western Series Metalcloak Stampede in Prairie City on June 7th is available atwww.Ultra4Racing.com. A four-part series of the vehicle build can be found at: DrivingLine.com or on Jason Scherer Facebook page: www.facebook.com/JasonScherer76

The Rage 4th Crew: Ole Stogesburg, Ben Ratto, Chad & Brett Lujan, Greg Hussey, John Webb, Brian Farris, Steve Headen, Dan Trout, Ben Bower, Gary & Gordon Uffins, Jason Willis and Doug Kennedy.

The Team Awesome Crew: Casey Scherer, Brother Al, Scronie Ronnie and Brian Kirby

Special Thanks to all the Marketing Partners that Make this Success Possible: Rubicon Express, Nitto Tires, DynoMax Exhaust, Spidertrax, PAC Spring, Method Race Wheels, Powertank, FOX Shox, Reid Racing, ARB, Jamar, Fishmouth Fab, Pacific Fabrication, Advance Adapters, Wild West Off-Road, RCV, High Angle Drivelines, Redline Oil, 4130 Clothing

Photos by Friese Images, Photography by Shana Whitford

More about Jason Scherer: Jason Scherer has been racing for over 15 years and has stood on the podium at many events winning one of the most prestigious events: The 2009 King of the Hammers. He also has a top 25 finish in every King of the Hammers race since 2008 and won the 2012 and 2013 Ultra4 Nitto National Championship Race. His consistency and race car set-up is proven winning the Pro-Rock Championship in 2006, repeating in 2007. Jason’s growing list of high profile finishes have earned him the honor of being nominated for Dirt Sports “Driver of the Year” award two years in a row. Scherer embraces his racing career with a very supportive wife and children who join him on the trails of Northern California in their 1972 Jeep CJ-6.

Video on Jason Scherer at the Nitto National Championship Race

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10ffR7ZEYnY

The post Jason Scherer Finishes With Brand New Car at Ultra4 Stampede appeared first on RockCrawler 4x4 and Offroad Magazine.

Related posts:

1. Jason Scherer WINS Ultra4 Stampede Race at Home Track in Sacramento
  2. Jason Scherer Prepared to Take on Arizona Desert at Ultra4 Nitto Tires National Finals
  3. News From KOH: Rubicon Express Joins Forces with Jason Scherer for the 2013 Ultra4 Season

Continue reading...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom