Link Bolt and Rod End Sizes

This site earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ghetto Fab

Spotter Required
Nov 1, 2021
Atascadero, Ca
What's the common go to sizing for link bolts and rod ends these days? I'm used to 9/16 bolts and 1 1/4 rod ends from my previous build and the jeep world, but it seems people are moving up to 3/4 bolts these days. That seems like a lot on these little buggy builds though. I was wondering if people were getting away with smaller joints and bolts successfully?

7/8-3/4 for my heims. (I think...) heimjoints.net is local, so I shop there :)

3/4-5/8 for the steering heims (I think...)

Thus far, I've had one bend. They ARE due for replacement after 2-1/2 years, links and steering.

I would try to avoid 9/16 bolts since they aren't common and not used in ag so not going to find in many stores if needed. If I recall 9/16 became popular because that is what TJ control arms used and carried over into mainstream use just like the 2-5/8" width rod end/joint size.

7/8-3/4 for my heims. (I think...) heimjoints.net is local, so I shop there :)

3/4-5/8 for the steering heims (I think...)

Thus far, I've had one bend. They ARE due for replacement after 2-1/2 years, links and steering.
3/4 heim with a 7/8 shank, or 7/8 lowers and 3/4 uppers?

3/4 heim with a 7/8 shank, or 7/8 lowers and 3/4 uppers?
7/8 shank, 3/4 bolt. Uppers and lowers are the same. Lowers are ALL RH thread, uppers are LH/RH mixed for adjustability.

Lowers should be all RH, otherwise you'll spend every trip tightening jam nuts.

What are you guys with 3/4" rod ends and 3/4" bolts using for misalignment spacers? I'm assuming its just a spacer without any additional misalignment? I think I've seen Jessie just weld in spacers to the link brackets.

I'm wandering how you all have enough twist in the joints to use 16" travel shocks? The specs for a FK 3/4" rod end list 18deg of misalignment, but when I measure I only get about 9-10deg one direction. So the 18deg number looks to be a total amount of twist. Two joints with 10deg of twist would equal 20deg of total twist along a link. However, with just 14" shocks I am getting 21deg of articulation out of the axle. So even with 14" shocks the link joints are already binding.

My lowers and the chassis-side uppers just use weld in spacers for the 3/4 bolts. I haven't noted any binding with 16" air shocks, and I know Jesse builds some JHF Trails with 18" rear. Axle side uppers are a misalignment with a 5/8 bolt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom