1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mud racer to rock bouncer

Discussion in 'Wheelers Tech' started by dteeter, Aug 21, 2014.

1. dteeter

dteeter New Member

I bought a mud racer that is a decent platform for a rock crawler...I know its a bit rough around the edges...but...I wont be entering it into any show and shine contest! I am looking to not have an extremely flexible machine...just a low budget repectable one. Here are my plans. I plan to add a chair on each side of the drivers chair plus a row of three chairs in the back...making it a six seater. I will have to rework the roll cage to make this happen. I need to figure out sizing and length of the coilover shocks with a new link suspension system to give it more travel. Concerns i have with it is the short driveline to the rear maybe to short to get the travel i need...thus i am considering moving the engine forward to lengthen the rear drive line and shortening the front...not sure if that would be worth it? i also need some advise on gearing. It has 617 gears with a t400 auto tranny...39.5 mudders. Dana 60 in the front...70 rear. I am thinking that getting back to the 460 range would be more suitable for a family cruiser? The other issue that I didnt realise was so complicated was the 3500/4000 stall converter...obviously this isnt practical for my application...so...i need a nonstall converter. I am told I will have to have one built for the motor and that they will need the cam specs ect in order to do build one? I was thinking I could just buy one for a 454 chevy pickup and call it good? But...apparently not? Anyway...I am new here...looking forward to getting this thing built with your help...your advise and suggestions are welcome

Attached Files:

2. woody

woody eternal noobie Staff Member Media Partner

You'll be time and money ahead taking the good parts from that and installing into a different chassis.

And a 6 seater? I started building a 4-seater a few years back, and quickly realized that 95% of my trips were solo...and my step daughter had zero interest in any trips unless she was getting to drive. No reason for more than 4 seats in any case.

3. dteeter

dteeter New Member

I can handle pretty much everything except for understanding what torgue converter to get and what type of shocks I need. Right now it has a set of cheap looking once upon a time gas filled coilovers....now its sitting flat. I need a set for the front that will provide about 8 inches of travel. So...does that mean I need a shock about 12 inches of travel so it can squash down to leave me with 8 usable? The back only has about 5 inches to work with...so...not sure what I would need there...