1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yota problems

Discussion in 'Wheelers Tech' started by icrawl83, Mar 28, 2013.

1. icrawl83

icrawl83 New Member

Well the 3.0 is got a lil knock to her and its time to make a decision, rebuild,remanufactured,or swap a used 3.0 or 3.4 . I am on a very tight budget but need a reliable truck for a long time. the 3.0 dosent have much power but im not to worried about that. Could possibly gain a few HP with a header. Id like to hear some opinions on the cheapest but also best route to go to have a strong running trucj for a while

2. woody

woody eternal noobie Staff Member Media Partner

IMO, ditch the 3.0 and update to the 3.4...much better powerplant to work with...

I had a 1995 mini with the 3.0...never again...

3. icrawl83

icrawl83 New Member

I had never really had any issues out of the 3.0 until now the head gasket held up , it smoked a lil right at start up then would quit. I drove it like that for 2 years and recently just replaced the clutch and bought a spare Trans. So thats why I was kinda leaning towards a remanufactured 3.0. I just have heard that the wiring on the 3.4 swap is pretty tricky

4. icrawl83

icrawl83 New Member

I found a good running 3.0 for cheap only thing is the truck is an auto. Can I still use that engine for my truck because I have a manual. the motor is from an 88 and mines a 92 but I heard the older 3.0 motors held up better than the newer ones

5. woody

woody eternal noobie Staff Member Media Partner

The mounting pattern won't make a lick of difference....but the computer/harness may vary...

I would confirm accessories are the same tho, there may be some variations in model years for that motor