BFGoodrich celebrates five year anniversary of Outstanding Trails program
The five 2010 selected trails cover the map from Southern California to Pennsylvania
MOAB, Utah – April 2, 2010 – BFGoodrich Tires has announced the five trails selected for its Outstanding Trails program at a presentation held in Moab, Utah during the Easter Jeep Safari. Celebrating the program’s five year anniversary in 2010, the Outstanding Trails program has recognized 19 trails, donating more than $70,000 to clubs across the United S
tates and Canada. The program was established to raise awareness for responsible use, and preservation of, off-road trails while providing aid in the trails’ conservation efforts.
In collaboration with Tread Lightly! and United Four Wheel Drive Associations (UFWDA), BFGoodrich Tires is proud to present the 2010 Outstanding Trails:
- Rausch Creek, Pa.
- Drummond Island, Mich.
- Yacolt, Wash.
- Johnson Valley, Calif.
- Holy Cross, Colo.
“The five trails that have been selected this year are well-deserving of the recognition and we’re excited to have them part of the Outstanding Trails family,” said Joe Mazur, light-truck marketing manager, BFGoodrich Tires. “We look forward to honoring the clubs at selected events throughout the year and helping them maintain and preserve these beautiful off-road trails for everyone to enjoy.”
The five 2010 Outstanding Trails cover the map from the Mojave Desert in Southern California to the green forests of Pennsylvania. The trails were narrowed down and selected by UFWDA, Tread Lightly! and BFGoodrich Tires.
BFGoodrich Tires will host several events honoring each of the five trails beginning in June and running through October. The events will highlight the beauty and uniqueness of each trail, as well as educate off-road enthusiasts on the responsible use of trails. A grant will also be awarded to each of the clubs associated with the trails to help conserve the trail’s beauty.
Following is a closer look at each trail:
• Rausch Creek provides a fun, legal place for 4×4 off-road clubs and organizations to go “wheeling.” The off-road park consists of 1,700 acres of easy, intermediate and hard trails. Rocks, bowls, hills, the glacial “Rock Creek”, club-friendly trails and free on-site camping combine to make Rausch Creek a unique 4×4 destination.
• Drummond Island has some of the most scenic and rugged off-road trails in the state of Michigan. With more than 117 miles of trail in a closed loop system, Drummond Islands’ off-road trails provide a wide range of riding opportunities. Surrounded by the waters of Lake Huron, in a true wilderness setting, the riding experience is un-paralleled by any other place in Michigan. With abundant wild life, lush vegetation and sweeping vistas, the trails on Drummond Island are truly special.
• Yacolt Burn is located in the Yacolt Burn State forest and features OHV trails that have been shut down for a long time. There are several clubs, including the Piston’s Wild Motorsports, that are working to get these trails cleaned up and ready to use once again. This is a relatively new 4×4 trail system that expects to have approximately 25 miles of dedicated off-roading very soon.
• Johnson Valley is home to King of the Hammers, the ultimate desert race. Johnson Valley offers a varied landscape for the off-road driver. It is punctuated by steep red rocky mountains, rolling hills, open valleys, dry lake beds and sandy washes. Elevations range from 4,600-feet at Hartwell Hills to 2,300-feet at Melville Dry Lake. The area’s beautiful vegetation consists of creosote scrub, annual grasses, wild flowers and Joshua Trees.
• Holy Cross is a scenic and challenging high mountain trail in central Colorado. It is an old mining trail that gold miners built and used until 1883 when the mines on Mt. Holy Cross played out. One of the more challenging 4×4 trails in Colorado, Holy Cross holds a rating of 8 to 9 on a 10-point difficulty scale.
Each of the trails honored will be highlighted on BFGoodrich Tires’ Nation of GO throughout the year. Nation of GO allows visitors to interact with members, as well as share their experiences on the trails by tracking drives and uploading photos and videos. Visit www.NationofGO.com/OutstandingTrails to view the 2010 Outstanding Trails trailheads.
“United Four Wheel Drive Associations shares the goals and desires of BFGoodrich Tires and the Outstanding Trails program and is a great way to highlight clubs and trails across the country that are promoting responsible off-roading,” said Dave Logan, chairman of the advisory committee, UFWDA. “We enjoy our partnership with BFGoodrich Tires and look forward to continue promoting responsible land use throughout the year.”
“Tread Lightly! is proud to partner with BFGoodrich Tires for the fifth year to help communicate responsible four wheeling principles,” said Lori McCullough, executive director of Tread Lightly!. “It’s important to tread lightly on designated roads and trails and the Outstanding Trails program does a great job spreading the word.”
Both Tread Lightly! and UFWDA are non-profit organizations dedicated to responsible and ethical outdoor recreation. BFGoodrich Tires collaborated with these two groups to select the finest North American trails, and will continue to work with these organizations on restoration and education initiatives.
United Four Wheel Drive Associations is the world’s leading representative of all-brand four wheel-drive enthusiasts. UFWDA benefits, developed and tested true over the past 30 years, include four wheel drive safety and awareness education; user ethics programs such as adopt-a-road, conservation volunteer, and volunteer trail patrol; assistance with new club formation; education seminars to aid four wheelers through complex state and federal programs affecting trail access; internet forums designed to connect members globally and instantaneously; and unrestrained member access to its full-time legislative advocate and nationally-recognized attorney working exclusively for four wheel drive enthusiasts to protect access and prevent road and trail closures. For more information on the UFWDA log on to www.ufwda.org or call toll free 1-800-44-UFWDA (800-448-3932).
Tread Lightly!® is a national nonprofit organization with a mission to promote responsible recreation through ethics education and stewardship. Tread Lightly!’s strategic educational message, along with its training and restoration initiatives are designed to instill an ethic of responsibility in outdoor enthusiasts and the industries that serve them. The program is long-term in scope with a goal to balance the needs of the people who enjoy outdoor recreation with the needs of the environment. The federal government recognizes this by acknowledging Tread Lightly! as a sole-source service provider of education and training on how to be environmentally and socially responsible while using motorized and mechanized vehicles in off-highway settings.
Using motorsports as a proving ground for more than 35 years, BFGoodrich® Tires is involved in every type of racing, including oval, sports car, drifting, drag, desert, dirt, rally, and extreme rock crawling. BFGoodrich Tires combines technological expertise with vast motorsports experience, delivering a high-performance tire for every type of vehicle. Visit BFGoodrich Tires online at www.BFGoodrichTires.com. In 2009, BFGoodrich Tires developed a gathering place for auto enthusiasts to celebrate the thrill of GO through an online community. Nation of GO is an online community where people with a passion for driving can celebrate and share what they love to do best at www.NationofGo.com.