Front 4-link suspension - link length?

This site earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woody

eternal noobie
Staff member
Oct 12, 2010
Toquerville UT
Had the FToy on the lift today, swapping the high pinion BACK into the front...and started playing with a tape measure...

Quick/dirty measurements show about 32" eye to eye for lowers, below frame to outer end of axle. Uppers in the 26"ish range. Uppers are "limited" by the FToy exhaust/header location, frame side will mount with a thru-sleeve most likely.

Thinking 14" 2.5 Fox air shocks (rears are 16" 2.5's)

Longer? shorter? stupid idea?

Longer but not by much. I would think you can get no shorter than 36" and no longer than 40". But overall, I think you would be happier keeping it leaf in the front and building/buying something else. Rigs that are progressed like yours often have compromises that can relate to inefficiency due to everything being an afterthought. If you are going to do it right, cut everything out of the way and build around the suspension, ie. headers, floorboards, motormounts, etc.

The short term issue is springs....the ones I have are about shot, so $250 for another set....doing that yearly is going to get old.

Spent a couple hours under it yesterday taking measurements....doesn't seem to be too tough, other than clearance on the DS header...

LOTS of things on the list before a "new" rig is an option....LOTS

I'll have to measure what my front is link length wise. But I think it is in the 32" range. Obviously the 3 link is a bit different that you are planning, but it's still data. Rich has a point on progression. But I'd bet you can get the front to behave well with some slightly "shorter" links.

You are thinking 4 link right?

Some of what you'll need to do, with your current application, is to settle on not what is best but what is optimal for your platform. Meaning, link length may be determined not by exhaust, but by frame, clearances, etc. Small things like exhaust can be rerouted, larger things will be more difficult or not worth the effort. Short link length can result in horrible Descent characteristics, to battle this, you'll need to limit travel, might as well have springs. Short links can also cause tires to torque lift easier due to leverage and travel restrictions. It should not be hard to fit 34" minimum length links on your rig, just needs some planning.

The tough part is your belly length/drivetrain length. With link front, you will surely need a 2 piece driveshaft to prevent excessive plunge. Lastly, you want longer length links in the rear and I remember yours being fairly short to begin with.

Long story short... You may be better leaving your rig alone and wheeling the piss out of it.

Yeah, that may be the best option....front springs are clapped out, ordered a new pair last night.

Researched 3-links a ton too, very easy to fit on the rig really....plenty of upper link room on the passenger side, and easy enough with the frame rails to run the panhard. May still talk my way into it later in 2018, see how these new packs hold up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom