Build JHF Trail Chassis

This site earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Engine cleanup in progress....lower intake manifold is a notorious issue, so fresh gaskets and a small bit of coolant plugging/porting seemed like good preventative maintenance. New Firebird oilpan/pickup going on too for better oiling.

PXL_20210527_181458565.jpg

PXL_20210527_181517559.jpg

Last edited:
Wow that's some kind of long paint baking. Special Paint ? 😜
Seriously though, Hope everything is OK this is the longest span in between posts since the start of the build.
Or maybe your just hanging out with the new neighbors the Lite Brite Nation.

Seriously though, Hope everything is OK this is the longest span in between posts since the start of the build.
Or maybe your just hanging out with the new neighbors the Lite Brite Nation.
Actually, just returned from 10 days in the Exumas, and prepping today/tomorrow for a few days on the Rubicon....back at it next week! Gotta play a "little" between coats of paint! lol

Engine set in place, trans filter and pan replaced.

Had to rethink my "heel pocket" idea for the brake/acc area on the drivers side...realized that the pedal arm for the brakes was set to a specific length (arguably per Jesse's designs) and the heel pocket on that side would put the pedal at my toes, instead of the balls of my feet. Not a great idea. Also minic'd the brake design for a accellerator pedal, and have that being mocked up now. That means a flat drivers side floor pan...so a new piece of alum is cut and ready to drop in. Pics later when paint dries ;)

It's only metal :)

PXL_20210702_225527599.jpg

PXL_20210702_220720505.jpg

Last edited:
So, there are no published/official torque specs for the JHF brake/steering setup on these Hummer knuckles...so, I made these up. Time will tell...

Six 1/2-13 bolts were torqued to 80ftlbs
(Four have 3/4 6-point heads, two have 1/2" 12pt heads)
Five/Six (depending on side) 3/8-16 bolts torqued to 45ftlbs
Eight 5/16-18 caliper bracket bolts torqued to 30ftlbs

PXL_20210706_193425360.jpg

So, there are no published/official torque specs for the JHF brake/steering setup on these Hummer knuckles...so, I made these up. Time will tell...

Six 1/2-13 bolts were torqued to 80ftlbs
(Four have 3/4 6-point heads, two have 1/2" 12pt heads)
Five/Six (depending on side) 3/8-16 bolts torqued to 45ftlbs
Eight 5/16-18 caliper bracket bolts torqued to 30ftlbs

View attachment 15531
I have that same Tekton torque wrench and find it to be junk. I moved up to a Snap-on that I can trust.
I'm surprised your using that thing.🙄

I have that same Tekton torque wrench and find it to be junk. I moved up to a Snap-on that I can trust.
I'm surprised your using that thing.🙄
I've had zero complaints with any of the Tekton tools I own. I have a handful of junk SnapOn and Craftsman stuff. 🙂

Progress....more or less...

Started the day chatting with Jesse...turns out, spools require a spacer/block inside the spool so the inners don't slip in too far and strip the outer splines of the inner axle...

At that point, I had the wheels/tires on....so apart came the front 3x. FML.

Ended up using a poly spring bushing that fit snugly inside the spool. Cut the length down to 1" exactly-ish. (On the 3rd try....yay?!?) Inners now fit perfect, minimal inwards movement, keeping the inner axle fully seated in the birfield star.

Radflos are on, need to put some nitrogen in them and set a prelim height.

Been a long sweaty day...

PXL_20210728_232545530.jpg

PXL_20210728_233706407.jpg

PXL_20210729_023049178.jpg

Closer....note to self, NEVER use rubber gaskets in tranny pans....cork, always!!

Tentative ride height....3.5" front shock shaft, 4.5" rear shock shaft (no fuel or tools or fluids yet)...

Front: 50psi
Rear: 35psi

PXL_20210805_205212161.jpg

Looks killer!!
What’s the belly at?
Belly (with skid) is about 19". Rear shocks are still an inch high, fronts may lower 1/2". Need to get the weight in it and finalize where the pressures need to be (and get a day/two of test time in)

Got some wiring done last evening, header wrap and some other stuff is on track today. It's a cool 95 already :)

Belly (with skid) is about 19". Rear shocks are still an inch high, fronts may lower 1/2". Need to get the weight in it and finalize where the pressures need to be (and get a day/two of test time in)

Got some wiring done last evening, header wrap and some other stuff is on track today. It's a cool 95 already :)
Awesome

Exhaust is wrapped and in....note to self: weld in the O2 bung before wrapping...

Wiring is well on it's way....fuel pump/relay is set, starter is set, front winch is set, other stuff is in process...

Trying to only do this three times the first time...uugh

PXL_20210808_233030311.jpg

PXL_20210808_234306072.jpg

Progress...

It runs!! Major unknown, since it was a 2nd hand engine....bit it appears to run smooth. TPS is likely on the new sensor list tho.

AND it steers! Still a bit of wiring to finish up, but the "hotwire" test passed.

PXL_20210812_192017838.jpg

And we have cooling fans and relays and stuff! With both fans next to the battery, running stand-alone for each made sense...the green wire is the negative switch for the radiator, and the trans is 100% standalone. Easy access if something needs to be bypassed too.

5-wire relay wiring for negative switching:
Blue (30) and White (86): battery positive (fused 30a)
Yellow (87): fan positive
Black (85): negative trigger
Red (87a): remove entirely

PXL_20210812_220707079.jpg

Chasing some cooling oddities yet....guessing I simply need to get the system 100% air free to solve it....but it ran for about :30 yesterday with no issues, and the cooling fan switched on at 220 (which is the factory setting...need to change that)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom