Best Tires for Rock Crawling

arighthe

Apr 28, 2020
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
What is the best tires for rock crawling. Most of my friends suggested that I consider Nitto Mud Grappler Extreme Terrain tires. Any other suggestions? I intend to buy a set for my 1986 Jeep Comanche.

woody

eternal noobie
Staff member
Oct 12, 2010
Toquerville UT
Those would be well down on my list of options...

Daily driver, street driven, or trailer queen? Stock axles, upgraded shafts or upgraded axles? What size tire/wheel combo?

Justin davis

Apr 3, 2020
Texas, dfw
Im partial to interco or goodyear military take offs for anything over 35" off road only , and milestar patagonia m/t for everything under 35" on and off the road because they sponsor my colorado and i get free tires, that and they are really good in all conditions.

The only tire i can say personally to stay away from are toyo tire open country mt, they had me sliding all over the road every time it rains and nearly killed me twice.

woody

eternal noobie
Staff member
Oct 12, 2010
Toquerville UT
I forgot about the "where do you live/wheel" question....that's damn near as critical as anything.

The only tire i can say personally to stay away from are toyo tire open country mt, they had me sliding all over the road every time it rains and nearly killed me twice.
I had that same issue with a set of tires (don't even recall which set now) but a small pressure drop made a big difference...might have been how the tire crowned at higher pressure based on my rig weight.

I run Milestars on a few rigs now, and it's hard to beat the price to performance ratio.

Justin davis

Apr 3, 2020
Texas, dfw
I forgot about the "where do you live/wheel" question....that's damn near as critical as anything.

I had that same issue with a set of tires (don't even recall which set now) but a small pressure drop made a big difference...might have been how the tire crowned at higher pressure based on my rig weight.

I run Milestars on a few rigs now, and it's hard to beat the price to performance ratio.
I know that the problem i had with the toyo tires was a tread pattern and material issue, my colorado only weighs around 6500lb and they had me stuck in wet grass in my front yard in 4low , i tried em for 2 months because they were free and i really cant say enough bad about em.
In the 3 years ive run the milestar patagonia mt i havent had to use my winch for self recovery, i did get high centered once but that wasnt the tires fault it was mine for rock crawling a pickup truck with terrible break over angles. Those toyos are still stacked in my driveway i wont give em away because i dont want to be held liable for someone dying. I keep telling myself im saving them for a burnout contest but i havent seen one in years and they will probably end up getting turned into planters or part of a offroad obstacle in my field.

Top Bottom