Build Thread Project YJ Media Rig

JoeyATM

Addicted Member
Thread starter #1
Hey everyone I wanted to share my build thread with you all. The idea behind this build besides taking it out wheeling of course is to build me a decent rig to get me around and some of the off road events that I cover. Having a decent rig to get around will help me get to places more easily as well as get to places some other photogs cannot get to. :D

Its a 1993 Jeep YJ with 4.0 and auto trans.
I have switched routes with this build 2 times before deciding to run a hp 44/9" combo. I had an 8 lug 44/60 and a 60/10.25" for it but decided that the 44/60 was not worth the weight and effort and the 60/10.25 was a bit much for my pocket and my wheeling style.

It started out as a bone stock Jeep
602733_4397079965485_1338305825_n.jpg

This is as it sits today.
unnamed.jpg

Next on my list:
Roll Cage
Steering
Drivelines
Fuel Tank

woody

eternal noobie
Staff member
I totally get the plan changes...I've done that with too many over the past years.

What bender are you using for the cage? DOM I assume? I did DOM with my old FJ40 cage and the added cost over standard tube was well worth it...survived SO much better when I needed it (which was a lot)

It needs a stinger. One of those super sized 48" outrigger type jobbies...cause those are SO in line with the YJ vintage ;)

Lil Rich

Addicted Member
Media Partner
Looks great! I agree on the stinger

If you need a bender or help building a cage, let me know. I know a guy

JoeyATM

Addicted Member
Thread starter #4
I totally get the plan changes...I've done that with too many over the past years.

What bender are you using for the cage? DOM I assume? I did DOM with my old FJ40 cage and the added cost over standard tube was well worth it...survived SO much better when I needed it (which was a lot)

It needs a stinger. One of those super sized 48" outrigger type jobbies...cause those are SO in line with the YJ vintage ;)
I just have one of those affordable benders right now. It will take a while but it bends tube alright.
I would like to something like the GenRight bumper with the small stinger and the grill guard. Then I plan to run some tube fenders off of that.

Looks great! I agree on the stinger

If you need a bender or help building a cage, let me know. I know a guy
Help with the cage would be great, I have only built bumpers so a cage is going to be a learning process but one I am looking forward to doing.

JoeyATM

Addicted Member
Thread starter #5
Well a little update and a little history, the front axle is a F150 D44 and the rear is a Ford 9". The guy I bought the front axle from had changed out the knuckles to Chevy 6 lug. In the pic I have it on a 12 bolt rear that I got to move my Jeep to my new house and 6 lug wheels.

With not wanting to run the 12 bolt since I have the 9" I have been looking around for a solution to make either the front work with the rear or vise versa. If I run the Chevy outers I will need to have custom shafts made for the rear and then I run the risk of breaking one and not having a spare or having anything readily available. I can convert the front back to the 5 lug with the Chevy knuckles but it takes quite a bit of mixing parts from like 3 different trucks. I don't like to idea of needing to remember that I'll have mid 70s knuckles and spindles and mid 80s brakes a late 70s axle. Then I'd need the Ford inner shafts and Chevy outers shafts... I'd rather just have it all simple for repairs and in case I ever want to sell it, I believe it'll make it easier.

So I have found some Ford knuckles from the same axle that I should be picking up this weekend the guy is looking for the same setup I currently have to put on his Toyota! I have been at a bit of a stand still until now, I know I can buy after market knuckles and down the road that may happen but for now I'd just like to get it on the trail.

JoeyATM

Addicted Member
Thread starter #6
I am way too excited about these rusty greasy part! Lol

IMG_3327.JPG

woody

eternal noobie
Staff member
Love it when a trade comes together :)