B&W Turnover Ball installation in a 2008 Ram 3500

Discussion in 'Haulers and Trailers' started by woody, Aug 15, 2011.

1. woody

woody eternal noobie Staff Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Updated towing vehicle means updating the towing equipment. Replace my 2003 Silverado Duramax with a 2008 Ram 3500 Megacab Dually , and the B&W Turnover Ball that was in there rocked. Top-of-the-line gooseneck hitch, flip it over for a nice flat pickup bed, and the option to add on a 5th wheel hitch WITHOUT any more modifications...big fan :)

Ordered the parts thru Lenz Truck and picked them up today. Two HEAVY boxes... accommodating nearly 17,000# of towing capacity requires some beef.

Tools: simple stuff...1/2", 9/16", 3/4", 15/16" combos and sockets, a 4" hole saw and a 1/2" drill...and a straight-cut tin snips to notch the bed in the passenger side fenderwell...

First, boxes...two, heavy, with hardware inside...

2011_TurnoverBall_DSC_0383.JPG

Next, the pile of stuff from inside the boxes...

2011_TurnoverBall_DSC_0384.JPG

The BIG key to doing this right is the 4" hole...I measured, re-measured, began a pilot hole, RE-RE-read the instructions, RE-measured, and finally committed...no second chance here...

2011_TurnoverBall_DSC_0385.JPG
  2. woody

woody eternal noobie Staff Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Read the install instructions...they were clear enough, and telling you how to recognize 1/2" bolts, washers, lock washers, and some miscellaneous stuff is a waste of time...

Finished pics...first, the ball/safety chain points...

2011_TurnoverBall_DSC_0386.JPG

Drivers side frame plate...

2011_TurnoverBall_DSC_0387.JPG

Passenger side frame place...had to rel0cate the e-brake bracket (parts included!)...this is also where the release lever is positioned...

2011_TurnoverBall_DSC_0388.JPG

And, two pics from under the bed...YES, removing the spare tire is necessary...adds a ton of space to maneuver things around...

2011_TurnoverBall_DSC_0389.JPG

2011_TurnoverBall_DSC_0390.JPG

NEXT up? A spray-in bedliner...previous owner hauled a slide-in camper, so this was a must-do regardless!
  3. Mace

Mace Member Staff Member

I just installed one as well. Mine was in a 2000 F350. Install was cake, but the plates were a lot smapper than the ones you used. I also had to mod it a bit to fit a set of Air bags I already had in the truck. I'll post pics later.