B&W Turnover Ball installation in a 2008 Ram 3500

This site earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woody

eternal noobie
Staff member
Oct 12, 2010
Toquerville UT
Updated towing vehicle means updating the towing equipment. Replace my 2003 Silverado Duramax with a 2008 Ram 3500 Megacab Dually , and the B&W Turnover Ball that was in there rocked. Top-of-the-line gooseneck hitch, flip it over for a nice flat pickup bed, and the option to add on a 5th wheel hitch WITHOUT any more modifications...big fan :)

Ordered the parts thru Lenz Truck and picked them up today. Two HEAVY boxes... accommodating nearly 17,000# of towing capacity requires some beef.

Tools: simple stuff...1/2", 9/16", 3/4", 15/16" combos and sockets, a 4" hole saw and a 1/2" drill...and a straight-cut tin snips to notch the bed in the passenger side fenderwell...

First, boxes...two, heavy, with hardware inside...

2011_TurnoverBall_DSC_0383.JPG

Next, the pile of stuff from inside the boxes...

2011_TurnoverBall_DSC_0384.JPG

The BIG key to doing this right is the 4" hole...I measured, re-measured, began a pilot hole, RE-RE-read the instructions, RE-measured, and finally committed...no second chance here...

2011_TurnoverBall_DSC_0385.JPG

Read the install instructions...they were clear enough, and telling you how to recognize 1/2" bolts, washers, lock washers, and some miscellaneous stuff is a waste of time...

Finished pics...first, the ball/safety chain points...

2011_TurnoverBall_DSC_0386.JPG

Drivers side frame plate...

2011_TurnoverBall_DSC_0387.JPG

Passenger side frame place...had to rel0cate the e-brake bracket (parts included!)...this is also where the release lever is positioned...

2011_TurnoverBall_DSC_0388.JPG

And, two pics from under the bed...YES, removing the spare tire is necessary...adds a ton of space to maneuver things around...

2011_TurnoverBall_DSC_0389.JPG

2011_TurnoverBall_DSC_0390.JPG

NEXT up? A spray-in bedliner...previous owner hauled a slide-in camper, so this was a must-do regardless!

I just installed one as well. Mine was in a 2000 F350. Install was cake, but the plates were a lot smapper than the ones you used. I also had to mod it a bit to fit a set of Air bags I already had in the truck. I'll post pics later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom