Fuel cell choices

This site earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Geets

Loves Light Bars
Sep 12, 2022
Florida Keys
I bought my rig and it has this 22 gallon JAZ fuel cell. The outer steel container that encases the internal bladder is rusted. It is about 20 years old. Do you think the internal bladder is still good? Do I buy new or have a new container built for it or just get a whole new fuel cell?
I was also wondering if this setup is better or should I just have an aluminum tank made to fit? Not sure benefits of an aluminum tank vs the current fuel cell setup that is in there/ What do you all use in your buggy builds?

fuel cell 2.jpg

Fuel Cell.jpg

I did a generic aluminum fuel cell....had to modify the pickup to work with the Holleymat, but has been flawless for a full year of wheeling. 12 gallon so I don't need to fill every day :)

I like the idea of adding the holley hydramat. Never knew about that product thanks for bringing it to my attention. So would a tank like this aluminum one be similar to your setup?

I like the idea of adding the holley hydramat. Never knew about that product thanks for bringing it to my attention. So would a tank like this aluminum one be similar to your setup?
Mine is all top connections, the bottom sump on the one you linked might be hard to add the Holleymat

Good point Woody.

One thing I've been reading is that aluminum tanks don't tend to hold up to offroad stresses and can crack. I've heard that's why most will opt for the bladder system in a steel tank like the one that was mounted in my rig 20 years ago. some have suggested using a motobuilt aluminum tank because they use thicker aluminum. Reviews/complaints on the RCI tanks are that they crack and have to be rewelded.

Good point Woody.

One thing I've been reading is that aluminum tanks don't tend to hold up to offroad stresses and can crack. I've heard that's why most will opt for the bladder system in a steel tank like the one that was mounted in my rig 20 years ago. some have suggested using a motobuilt aluminum tank because they use thicker aluminum. Reviews/complaints on the RCI tanks are that they crack and have to be rewelded.
10 gallon poly tank from Summit $160

10 gallon poly tank from Summit $160
My 12gal alum tank from Amazon was $120, and has held up well for a year of hard wheeling (including a double backflip). Mounting them correctly is key, I had 3 threaded bungs welded on since a triangulated mount is less likely to find a stress point than 4+ mounting points. The tube structure below is also critical to ensure there is no flex.

Reviews/complaints on the RCI tanks are that they crack and have to be rewelded.
My RCI didn’t leak from the seams it leaked from everywhere right off the bat

Customer services was pretty lackadaisical “oh here’s a free cork gasket”.

I swapped to a motobuilt tank/mount and had zero issues

But after seeing at Woodys I’d go that rout in the future

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom