1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hey new here

Discussion in 'Guest Book' started by joewiggles, Aug 8, 2012.

1. joewiggles

joewiggles New Member

whats up i dont know what im doin but i know i want to build badass toys i dont have the tools to start yet but i just got my first project engine its a 87 5.7l 350 oout of a 87 gmc sierra 3500 iv got the auto tranny and the 1 ton rear axle also i dont know a whole lot about the motor and nothing about the tranny so hopefully i can learn alot here my goal is to start out building a buggy but first i need to get this motor running as far as i know it runs but its been sitting for a while maybe a year not for sure im not sure what tranny it is ive been told by a wierd old tweeker its a turbo 400 that sound pretty sweet to me i dunno its an auto im ok with that im not much of a manual guy so any help with that would be great and ive got the 1 ton rear axle from the 3500 its 8 lug i want to get a front axle to match its width if anyone has any suggestions theyd be appritiated i also dont want any fancy computers messin with me so can i run the motor with just power to the starter and distributer ,gas and air or is it more complicated then that like i said this is my fist project first carburator thats not on a lawn mower so any input info or anything would really help me out and wen i get started on the accual buggy itself ill keep everyone updated on its progress thanks joe

2. woody

woody eternal noobie Staff Member Media Partner

step one: punctuation
    step two: paragraphs

:)

I'm retiring a 5.7/350 right now...had 280k on it when installed, and has been run hard and put away wet. Good, simple motor. TBI is easy to wire up.

TH400 is a hog of a tranny...IMO, a TH350 or 700R would serve you better...the 400 just soaks up a lotta hp for what it is.

3. joewiggles

joewiggles New Member

right on thanks