JHF Portal Axle Bible

This site earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I tried the same but I couldn‘t fit the 3/4“ pipe due to my rotors so a made this with an extra jack pad I had. Worked out well.
IMG_0610.jpeg

Portal 1480 Shaft Lengths
For anyone building housings or wanting to upgrade to 1480 u-joint shafts, these are the shaft lengths you'll need, measured tip of shaft to center of joint. The offset is measured from the center of the housing, not center of the pinion. For reference, all of our moon buggy housings are 65" wide with an 8" offset. Our trail car housings are 70" with a 10" offset. When building housings for customers, we've tried to standardize everything to the dimensions listed below.

** For 9” axles with a Detroit/Grizzly/Spool add .5” **

Toyota 8"/8.4" -
65" x 8" offset 15.4" 31.4"
70" x 8" offset 17.9" 33.9"
70" x 10" offset 15.9" 35.9"
70" Centered 25.9" 25.9"

Ford 9" Driver Front -
65" x 8" offset 14.2" 32.5"
70" x 8" offset 16.7" 35"
70" x 10" offset 14.7" 37"
70" Centered 24.7" 27"

Ford 9" Passenger Front -
65" x 8" offset 16.5" 30.2"
70" x 8" offset 19" 32.7"
70" x 10" offset 17" 34.7"
70" Centered 24.7" 27"
Hey Woody, do you see any advantage/disadvantage to doing (rear engine moon buggy) a 9" 70x10 passenger front- for front axle, and a 70x8 driver front- for rear axle, adjusted minimally (basically a 10.3" offset on the passenger front-or 7.7" on the pass rear) to have the same length shafts? Outside of the aggravation of building different upper link mounts.

Hey Woody, do you see any advantage/disadvantage to doing (rear engine moon buggy) a 9" 70x10 passenger front- for front axle, and a 70x8 driver front- for rear axle, adjusted minimally (basically a 10.3" offset on the passenger front-or 7.7" on the pass rear) to have the same length shafts? Outside of the aggravation of building different upper link mounts.
I know Jesse had a passenger offset front and a driver offset rear, it does help when the engine is angled in the chassis for drive line angles.

My next 2-seat will be passenger offset front (like the current) but centered rear. I think.....

I know Jesse had a passenger offset front and a driver offset rear, it does help when the engine is angled in the chassis for drive line angles.

My next 2-seat will be passenger offset front (like the current) but centered rear. I think.....
sorry, I think the offset gets confusing when talking rear steer axle. But in my original question, in a rear engine car, both axles would be passenger drop, so I was referring to running two different offsets to maintain matching length inners respectively for both axles, by cheating the 8' and 10" offsets .3".

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom