Questions on building a Rock Buggy

This site earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OnTheRocks

Loves Light Bars
Jul 20, 2023
So Cal
I am really liking the idea of a rock buggy over building another jeep. The problem is I don’t know much about rock buggies. I have built a few jeeps and know some of the experience crosses over but there is a lot I am unfamiliar with.

I might be asking some basic questions, but this will allow me to wrap my head around rock buggies more. This helps me with things to stay away from or a must have you guys recommend. Things I wish I would have know are asking before building my current Jeep. You know the crap you learn after the fact LOL.

• I am looking at a two-seater. Are there any chassis to stay away from or one’s you guys recommend?
  • Is there a common choice for axles for rear steer? For example, in the Jeep market there is Currie, Dynatrace, and Fusion that are very popular.
  • I prefer coil overs but are there any major negatives running a CO verses ORIs on a buggy?
  • Power Plant, what seems to be a good motor and engine combo.

Chassis come in sizes, widths, etc. BEST option is to attend an event where there are dozens of options and sit in a bunch. See what fits (Trail Hero is perfect for this, as is Winter 4x4 Jamboree) Budget $5-8k for a bare welded chassis, maybe more if you want the links tabbed out.

Current trend is twards Superduty 60's front (05+) and 14b rear. Best option is likely JHF portals. Budget $10-$25k for axles.

Lighest is air shocks, next ORI's, then coilovers. For a full trail rig, ORI or coilover. For something super light, air's. ORI's are super adjustable, and their newer versions are nice.

Dozens of options on motors, just depends on what you want. V6 or 4cyl is very common anymore, no reason for the size/weight of a V8. Lots of guys running the 3.9 GM.

Read the Build threads on here, search other Builds on other sites (like irate4x4). Most research for years before diving into a build.

What's your definition of a rock buggy?
Rocks only, comp, all around trail rig, etc?
For a dedicated rock crawler, you don't need much horsepower, just low gearing. If you want to get into loose dirt hill climbs, more HP is needed, along with wheel speed.

thats the bigger question. what do you want to do. cone dodge and super crazy shit. or rock crawl all day on trails on everything mild to wild. my choice would be a bomber fab trail buggy for the chassis. i have seen them set up with portals front rear steer or tried and tru 60 front 14 bolt back. its a big enough chassis you can hang out in it all day and small enough you could do some cone dodging stuff too. but that is my 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom