Hi there

This site earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hello folks, sorry about being so late, here some pictures of the rig I'm building, I will need your help soon for a few technical issue due to my lack of knowledge...

IMG_20210726_185734_2.jpg

tubes and more tubes!

I know the "lack of knowledge" feeling...as @Lil Rich told me once, it's just metal...you can cut it out, and weld more in easy enough. That helped a ton, since a few brackets/tabs were redone a dozen times :)

Thank you, chassis is not done yet, I need to get the coilover and the axle done in order to put some more tube. Can get why there's only one picture since I've been uploading 17 of them, I'll try again...

Ho guys, I'm going to start building portal axles soon, using fabricated axle housing and hummer geared hubs, Is there anyone who did the same thing wanting to share some info about that? That would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I "cheated" and bought my housings ready to bolt in....but...

Setting pinion/caster is critical
Plan your offset carefully, I opted for front/rear offset equally. The front driveshaft clears the lower link by a sheet of paper (if that) with 1310 joints
Spooled 8" Toy diffs required a ~1" spacer block inside the spool
Measure for your inners shafts at least a dozen times....I know a few people who were off. I don't recall what the details are offhand however for getting it right.

I "cheated" and bought my housings ready to bolt in....but...

Setting pinion/caster is critical
Plan your offset carefully, I opted for front/rear offset equally. The front driveshaft clears the lower link by a sheet of paper (if that) with 1310 joints
Spooled 8" Toy diffs required a ~1" spacer block inside the spool
Measure for your inners shafts at least a dozen times....I know a few people who were off. I don't recall what the details are offhand however for getting it right.
Woody, thank you for your quick response. I'm going to use 8" Toyota thirds as well, they're originally from a 70 series Landcruiser high pinion, so now low pinion because of the portals reverse rotation. Jesse told me they should be strong enough to hold a stock 5.7 Hemi. What engine are you running on your buggy? Did you ever had any issue? I'm going to use stock Humvee CV then see what happens. I'm going to have clearance problem as well with the links and front driveshaft because of the huge Hemi , everything is on the way! Axles shafts dimensions will be tricky to get too, where did you put the seal in yours?

it's in the Tech section of this forum..............

Hey look, yer 10% of the way there ;) Drivetrain will be quick, then plumbing and wiring....which is takes forever!
Ciao Woody. I know...however, brake lines (hard ones are done, I just need some fitting for thr flex lines on the knuckles, fuel lines are done as well but i need to fabricate the fuel tank!
I'm taking advantage of your knowledge to ask a quick question about the shafts wich i will need to buy soon. My plan is to run the stock H1 CVs just for a few months of testing then buy the RCVs CJV3899 later on but i'm not 100% positive that shafts will fit both, any suggestion ? Thank you for your time.

My plan is to run the stock H1 CVs just for a few months of testing then buy the RCVs CJV3899 later on but i'm not 100% positive that shafts will fit both, any suggestion ? Thank you for your time.
Yes, the 3899 is a direct replacement. I have 6 on hand right now, but no guarantees for how much longer. AND no guarantee that RCV will have them stocked....usually they only have inventory when another larger order comes in (ie: me... lol) I don't have any restock plans, yet.

AND, be aware that a busted CV can also mess up the inner shaft splines.

Yes, the 3899 is a direct replacement. I have 6 on hand right now, but no guarantees for how much longer. AND no guarantee that RCV will have them stocked....usually they only have inventory when another larger order comes in (ie: me... lol) I don't have any restock plans, yet.

AND, be aware that a busted CV can also mess up the inner shaft splines.
Thanks Woody, how can i PM you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom