KOH 2022

This site earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woody

eternal noobie
Staff member
Oct 12, 2010
Toquerville UT
Anyone? I'm headed there in the morning for a few days of buggythings and hanging out, likely returning home Wed or Thurs. Crashing at LaserTown.

Had 2 different free rides with local teams but can't swing the time off this year. All I had to do was take turns driving the toter but oh well. It's always a good time. Have fun.

Southbound

20220129_085236.jpg

Spent Monday/Tuesday running with a great small group.... Matt Dickey had two Red Dot cars out there, Greg Higgs was driving the other. Ryan Busa was also there with his rear steer car and his buddy Scott joined us in a drag axle.

Ryan took us from memory/luck straight to Dead Blow on Moday...super fun trail with a handful of optional/stupid lines. From there, we wandered into the top of Bloody Mary and dropped the upper section. This is considered the hardest trail at Hammers and the lower section has some SOLID climbs and obstacles....it's on my next-visit list to run up. We split off at the mid-point and trail-broke into a sweet rocky downhill. I led that group, and there was a nice 12' drop in there to make it interesting (stacks of weeds at the bottom, so an unknown landing....nailed it :) ) Need to return and break it open uphill.

Since Full of Love was right there, we ran it next....the waterfall/sidehill at the top nearly cost Greg some $$, he managed to pull off an amazing save. However, they discovered a torn rear chassis-side link mount the next morning. The throttle climb was tricky too, I got lucky on my 2nd shot, but a bad bounce would make it messy.

8+ hours and 13+ miles on Monday.

Tuesday we planned to head out to Spooners, but Matt noted a dying front axle joint and we opted to take it "easy"....we did make a run up Kings Veto and hit a few other unknown trails as well. Found a few more sizable drops as we skirted a groups of wheelers, having an "unlimited" buggy makes taking those a ton of fun.

5+ hours and 15+ miles on Tuesday.

I need to get back when the crowds are lighter and have a small group weekend there...but got a good taste for those two days, and headed home before the REAL winds arrived.

Car and tires performed without issue, but the sharper rocks definitely took a few small bites out of my tread blocks. Sidewalls are still unscathed.

20220131_122419.jpg

Great pics. Hammers is a great time for sure. How did the drag axle car do on those trails? I had 2 different free rides to KOH this year but couldn't swing the time off work. Of course those free ride were codriving the toters and pitting. LOL My rig would have stayed home. It's 35 - 40 hours for us to get out there and I won't bother bringing a rig to KOH again. With the solid 8-9 days of events, rec wheeling is hard to do. We are talking about a trip November-ish.

Great pics. Hammers is a great time for sure. How did the drag axle car do on those trails?
Winched a few times, some of the lines are simply rear steer required. Others had bypass lines. He was an impressive driver too, which helped.

Yea, it's a zoo....our Monday runs were not crowded at all, but Tuesday was a mess. Between that and the wind picking up on Wed, I was glad I left when I did...but it's also a 6 hour drive, so easier to justify a short trip.

I'm only 6hr away two, still not worth the crowd and dust for me.
We usually go in the fall and have the trails all to ourselves, the place is a ghost town that time of year.
I did media for a few years and raced EMC once (2017, Matzell Motorsports #4573)...the whole atmosphere of ANY race is addicting to me, especially when you are directly involved with a team.

but the dust...and wind...and cold....without being PART of a team, it's tough to justify spectating and partying outside of the comforts of home. Watching on TV now....got the buggy washed, the Sprinter cleaned out and weighed, and am about to head into the shop to get a few repairs made. Much better than the lakebed :)

I did media for a few years and raced EMC once (2017, Matzell Motorsports #4573)...the whole atmosphere of ANY race is addicting to me, especially when you are directly involved with a team.

but the dust...and wind...and cold....without being PART of a team, it's tough to justify spectating and partying outside of the comforts of home. Watching on TV now....got the buggy washed, the Sprinter cleaned out and weighed, and am about to head into the shop to get a few repairs made. Much better than the lakebed :)
I have to admit that watching EMC makes me want to be part of that race. It's my favorite class

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom