1963 International Scout 80

Discussion in 'Wheelers Tech' started by Mace, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Mace

Mace Staff Member

At least visibility will be better than that t bucket at SEMA
    ai1.ytimg.com_vi_UexiOL8I_3Y_maxresdefault.jpg

2. Mace

Mace Staff Member

3. woody

woody eternal noobie Staff Member Media Partner

Media:
    Albums:
    oh, ya gotta have it....

4. sceep62

sceep62 New Member

If you don't tell me where it's at and I will.

5. Mace

Mace Staff Member

I never got the guy with the trailer to call me back unfortunately. So, no love there...

I did pick up a 2004 Vortec V6 mostly complete. Should be a good starter motor, but I'm not going to run the multi port fuel injection that it came with. Instead I'm going to get a carb intake manifold for the motor and convert it to TBI. The run a 700R4 behind the TBI and call it good. It'll be simple, and bulletproof.

aforum_ih8mud_com_attachment_php_9a6c03fbb47a4a2f40cadd03a00c8d5c._.jpg
    aforum_ih8mud_com_attachment_php_edef242957267eaabd1cba248ef06a11._.jpg

6. sceep62

sceep62 New Member

Good call. I just swapped a fairly new truck avenger volley for a 1969 ford 2 barrel. Runs like a champ now.

7. yellowbronco

yellowbronco New Member

Funny. In the old days a carb would have been considered simple and bulletproof!

8. Mace

Mace Staff Member

I never learned to adjust a carb unfortunately..

9. woody

Media:
    Albums:
    TBI is nice, and relatively idiot proof...or, mine mostly worked well anyways...haha

10. yellowbronco

yellowbronco New Member

I had a Holley Pro Jection on the Bronco for a short while. All I can say is that it ran...until the injectors decided to stick in the full-on position. Filled the intake manifold with fuel and...well...flames! Been a little sour on throttle bodies ever since. I'm expecting your factory setup to be far superior to the Holley.

11. Mace

Mace Staff Member

Tommy, those pro-jection units were known to be fairly horrible. Open loop with three available adjustments (idle mid and WOT) showed exactly what you found. It started fairly easily, but never ran quite right.

Stock GM TBI's are way more reliable and stout than the Holley.

12. yellowbronco

yellowbronco New Member

Can you custom tune it?

Preachin to the choir on the Pro Jection. That thing was junk. I recall having to reach back and dial the knobs until it would pull hard enough to run 4th up 50 to Tahoe. I don't think I ever got full throttle to run right. I inadvertently discovered a wire in the Pro Jection harness that, if grounded, would cycle the injectors. I hooked that wire to a momentary switch and I'd hit the switch to manually richen the mixture for cold starting. Ghetto.

The EEC-IV based injection is light years better. Parts for home made cold air intake arrive tomorrow and I expect it to run awesome once tuned for the new air sensor (this one actually came with a transfer function table I can use for tuning). It already runs better with the air sensor mounted directly to the throttle body and a tune with a random air sensor transfer function.

The point is, if you have a multi-point efi system for the 4.3, it might actually be easier to tune for perfection with that setup than with the throttle body. Especially since it's GM.

Think of your boy and the pride he'll have popping the hood for his buddies to see. Do you want them to see a dinosaur throttle body??? Nudge, nugde. Wink, wink.

13. woody

Media:
    Albums:
    The 2004 is new enough in the Vortec V6 line to actually consider keeping that setup instead of retrofitting back 10-15 years to TBI...

14. Mace

Mace Staff Member

ODB2 is much more complicated to tune than ODB1 stuff. However, it looks like this guy http://lt1swap.com/programming.htm

Can remove a lot of the unnecessary programming from the ECM. Including the gas cap sensor and VATS.

I'll look into it, but as far as I know, the 2004 is still a batch fire. However, I already have it. So...

15. Mace

Mace Staff Member

2004 is not batch fire, it is a true multiport.

Damnit, you guys have me thinking now...

16. yellowbronco

yellowbronco New Member

Is there no way you can program the OBD2 yourself? My setup will program the Ford OBD2 and I can shut off ALL of the anti-theft and emissions garbage. Matter of fact, I'll be using the EGR position sensor circuit for monitoring my wideband O2 sensor. Granted, my computer is OBD-I and much simpler. Even so, there's an amazing number of things that I can control. When I was browsing through the files I even recall seeing something about a heated windshield! Electric fan controller - got it.

17. Mace

Mace Staff Member

They make ODB2 programmers, but cost about $500 and up. Not really something I really need for my uses. $75 to have someone else do it for me seems like a better deal.

18. woody

Media:
    Albums:
    yea, ideally it's program one and done...assuming you plan accordingly ;)

And most places will allow a re-tune or two to get it right.

19. Mace

Mace Staff Member

Plan accordingly.. lol..

I would think the stock fuel map would be sufficient. I'm not going to add a cam or heads or intake. The motor will essentially be stock. Short of some minor tweaks to remove some of the more superlative emissions controls.

20. Mace

Mace Staff Member

So, if I go with the later fuel injection, I can also control the tranny shifting with the computer. Can you guys see any reason NOT to use the more modern 4l60E vs the 700R4???

I found a tranny but am waiting to see what year it is from. No matter what, it'll get a rebuild.