1963 International Scout 80

Discussion in 'Wheelers Tech' started by Mace, Nov 10, 2013.

1. woody

woody eternal noobie Staff Member Media Partner

Media:
    Albums:
    ooohhhh...nice :) Should be flexy!

2. Mace

Mace Staff Member

Or at least slightly nicer on the kidneys ;)

3. Mace

Mace Staff Member

new rear axle under the truck and mock up tires are on. this should be the ride height, but i still have some tinkering to do on it. 20140323_151700.jpg

4. Mace

Mace Staff Member

First try scout frame model.jpg So what happens when you have a Mechanical Engineer buddy with too much free time on his hands and a copy of solidworks???

5. Mace

Mace Staff Member

Some additional tweaks have to be made along with getting a copy of the correct axles generated. However this gets the suspension design off and running. Plus, it looks cool as heck!

6. Mace

Mace Staff Member

Just got the PS box I'm going to use. It's from a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

awww.carsteering.com_data_all_images_G_7805L_700_MAP.jpg

The Scout mounts the steering box on the inside of the frame. The long sector shaft makes a drop pittman not as necessary. This one should work out perfectly!!

7. yellowbronco

yellowbronco New Member

Hmm...might want to get that into the model as well.

8. yellowbronco

yellowbronco New Member

Pitman arm - points forward or backward? I'll want to know exactly what direction it points with respect to the input shaft at the middle of its range of motion to get the frame end of the track bar located right where it needs to be. A picture would help too.

9. Mace

Mace Staff Member

Pittman arm points backwards. Here is a pic of someone else's instal. They went to a flat pittman arm, and I'm not a fan of thei mounting (it could be a lot cleaner) but you get the idea.
    This is on a Scout 800, so my front crossmember should be further away from the end of the bumper. The 800's moved that crossmember forward to accommodate the V8.
    I'm betting that the track bar will be better suited behind the axle instead of in front of it. Although, with the conventional low steering design of the cruiser axles (low steering seems to be a lot easier on knuckle studs) it may not make a lick of difference.

I'll get some measurements tomorrow on where the crossmember actually is.

awww_binderplanet_com_forums_picture_php_612ef7cac9d9041f25a993411f1b2cc3._.jpg

10. yellowbronco

yellowbronco New Member

Looking at the model again - it would be really good to know exactly where that front crossmember is. You want both your steering box and the track bar to be located as close to that crossmember as possible. There's an awful lot of stress put into the frame by the steering box and the track bar. Can you get me crossmember location, dimensions, and maybe some pics? Your trackbar locations will be driven more by the crossmember location than anything else. Likewise, your steering box location will be driven more by the trackbar location than anything else. Then, as I'm sure you're well aware, the drag link needs to reflect both the length and the angle of the track bar. So, the track bar is extremely important.

11. Mace

Mace Staff Member

I'll get measurements tomorrow morning. thanks Tommy!

12. Mace

Mace Staff Member

Reading into this a bit (I've never bothered with calculating suspension dynamics on a leaf sprung truck).
    Based on this image.
    awww.timskelton.com_lightning_race_prep_suspension_images_rear_roll_center.jpg

It really should not matter if the axle is in SO/SU (as long as the springs are altered so that the axle remains in the same place in relation to the frame and the spring/shackle hangers). Right?

I was planning on doing the steering box first, then making the trackbar mimic that location as much as possible. Fromt he looks of things, it should not be complicated to make the trackbar fit inside of the steering box, on that front crossmember. The stock crossmember is fairly robust and very wide..

13. Mace

Mace Staff Member

Okay, here is the front end. The steering is overly high because the oil pan on the motor is pushing the pinion angle down.

Tommy, the crossmember is 12.25" from the end of the frame and is 7.25" thick. It's fully boxed and one heck of a support.
    The center of the steering box "Should" be about 8.5" from the end of the frame.
    The Axle is going to be about 24" from the end of the frame as well.

The steering box itself is tapped. My current plan is to weld up the holes in the stock box mount, and then drill new ones for the Jeep box. I do plan on boxing in the top of the stock mount, and quasi boxing in the bottom. Basically make a full plate to cap the bottom, but cut out enough area in the middle to get the bolts in and out of the steering box.

20140330_102912.jpg 20140330_102847.jpg

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  14. Mace

Mace Staff Member

So I was planning on going with one of the Ruff stuff Panhard bar kits.
    awww.ruffstuffspecialties.com_catalog_graphics_00000001_panhard_20kit.jpg

However, it may end up being easier just fabbing the mounts myself, considering how close we want the panhard bar to be to the steering rods in length and angle.

Also, the axle end of the panhard may have to argue a bit with the mount for the radius arms. Not a huge deal, but something to think about.

Tommy, I think you have the radius arms angled outwards. I do not believe that they are that way from the factory on a 80 series axle. They should run straight forward from the frame to the axle. The toyota pumpkin is probably less offset than the Dana one you have modeled..

Also, these are the upper coilover mounts I'm going to use. If you want them for the model.
    http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/STOWER975.html
    awww.ruffstuffspecialties.com_catalog_graphics_00000001_IMG_0936.jpg

woody likes this.