ADELAIDE, South Australia (February 28, 2015) – Sheldon Creed captured Saturday’s thrilling second round of the SPEED Energy Formula Off-Road Presented by Traxxas Stadium Super Trucks (SST) at the Clipsal 500 in Adelaide, South Australia, beating Robby Gordon to the line by a truck length.
Australian driver Matt Mingay of Gold Coast, Queensland finished third, making it the second-consecutive podium finish for the SST newcomer after coming home second in Friday’s first race.
Creed, a young off-road hot shoe from Alpine, Calif., started sixth and drove a calculated yet aggressive race to hold off Gordon and a full field of strong trucks.
Following Saturday’s second race of the season, Creed considered Saturday’s victory redemption for a costly mistake on Friday where he collected Traxxas teammate Keegan Kincaid in an accident at the finish.
More than 80,000 spectators lined the 14-turn 2.012 (3.219 km) street circuit to watch Creed and the Traxxas-branded trucks launch off of man-made ramps on the same DOT-approved Toyo Tires that consumers can buy. The loud raucous cheers of disbelief from the massive Australian crowd could be heard over the trucks as fans of traditional V8 Supercar racing saw the trucks literally fly through the air side by side.
Round 3 of the SPEED Energy Formula Off-Road Presented by Traxxas Stadium Super Trucks will take place Sunday prior to the V8 Supercar finale of the Clipsal 500 in Victoria Park in front of another anticipated record crowd.
About SPEED Energy Formula Off-Road Presented by Traxxas
Influenced by the former Mickey Thompson Stadium Off-Road Racing Series, where drivers such as Gordon, Casey Mears and six-time NASCAR champion Jimmie Johnson got their start, Gordon created SST in response to the public’s overwhelming interest in trucks and off-road racing. His plan to re-launch the former stadium series has led to exciting racing on both asphalt and dirt, while producing one of the most extreme forms of action sports today.
Other than the trucks launching 20 feet in the air covering distances more than 150 feet, what sets the SST program apart from other series is the fact that all the SST trucks are identically prepared and delivered to drivers in race-ready condition. Race winners are decided by driver skill rather than individual team engineering and budgets. Drivers and their personal mechanics are assigned specific SST mechanics who together tune and make minor adjustments to the 600-horsepower trucks.
RACE No. 2 RESULTS:
1. Sheldon Creed No. 74 Alpine, Calif. Traxxas
2. Robby Gordon No. 7 Orange, California SPEED Energy/Toyo Tires/Traxxas
3. Matt Mingay No. 2 Gold Coast, Queensland. Hot Wheels/Castrol Edge/Go Pro
4. E.J. Viso No. 5 LIVE/ United Fiber & Data/Think Loud Development/SBA Airlines
5. Nathan Pretty No. 56 Melbourne, Victoria. Toyo Tires/Go Pro/Gear Wrench
6. Billy Geddes No. 87 TCQ Quarry Co./KTM Australia/ Doonside.com Cattle/Lancaster/TobyPrice.com
7. Charles Dorrance No. 3 Austin, Texas Light Force Performance Lighting
8. Bill Hynes No. 57 Nazareth, Penn. LIVE/United Fiber & Data/Think Loud Development
9. Keegan Kincaid. Crandon, Wisc. Traxxas.
10. Brad Gallard No. 454 Renmark, South Australia. Peter Kittle Motor Company/Toyo Tires