Gold Coast, Queensland (October 22, 2015) – Returning to Australia for the second time in 2015, 11 identically prepared SPEED Energy Stadium SUPER Trucks presented by TRAXXAS invade Queenland’s ultra popular beach town Surfers Paradise October 23-25 for Rounds 16, 17, 18, & 19 of the year long championship.
Similar to the previous visit to Australia in February the SSTs will race the same 15-turn 1.85-mile (2.98 km) street circuit built for their much different counterparts from the V8 SuperCars, however, unlike the SuperCars the trucks will navigate over five 30-inch-tall specially designed ramps located in prime fan-viewing locations throughout the picturesque beach front circuit. The crowd-pleasing ramps will launch the trucks and their drivers nearly 20 feet (six meters) in the air and as much as 150 feet (45 meters) down course.
Looking to back up his podium finishes at the Clipsal 500 in February; Gold Coast resident and stuntman Matt Mingay will lead the charge of 5 Australian drivers in front of his hometown fans. Former Gold Coast resident and Indy Lights standout Matthew Brabahm will look to improve on his fifth place finish in Toronto as he makes his second start of the 2015 season. Also joining Mingay and Brabham will be the SST new comers; the ultra versatile V8 Supercar and Sprint Car racer Paul Morris of Norwell, Queensland; Sprint Car racer Brett Thomas of Gold Coast, Queensland; and off-road racer Greg Gartner of Penola, South Australia.
Americans returning to Australia to battle the Aussies are Robby Gordon of Orange Calif.; Team TRAXXAS drivers Sheldon Creed of Alpine, Calif. and Keegan Kincaid of Crandon, Wisc. Def Leppard and LIVE driver Bill Hynes of Nazareth, Penn. Scotty Steele of Peoria, Ariz. driving the Def Leppard / LIVE truck along with Los Angles, Calif. driver Burt Jenner in the Gladiator Tires truck will look to make there first SST start outside of the United States.
Creed the series’ most-recent winner, having fought off Gordon in a thriller at the last SST event back in September at the Orange County Fairgrounds in Costa Mesa, Calif. looks to extend his points lead on Gordon with four points races.
Race one will take place on Friday evening at 5:45 p.m. local time, while Race two will take place at 12:40 p.m. on Saturday, with race three taking place at8:10 am Sunday morning and Race 4 prior to the V8 Supercar finale at 1 p.m.
SST features identically prepared trucks, which are made to resemble their scaled-down TRAXXAS radio-control-car counterparts. Like their TRAXXAS namesake the trucks are designed to take flight. However, unlike RC trucks, they produce 600 horsepower generating speeds upwards of 130 miles per hour.
SPEED Energy Stadium Super Trucks Presented by TRAXXAS Fact Sheet
– 2015 is the third season of SPEED Energy Stadium Super Trucks by TRAXXAS.
– The first SST race was held at University of Phoenix Stadium on April 6, 2013 and was won by off-road racing veteran Rob MacCachren.
– The first event of the 2015 SST season featured three races in Adelaide, Australia with E.J. Viso, Sheldon Creed and Keegan Kincaid taking victories.
– Rounds 4 and 5 of the 2015 season took place at the St. Petersburg Grand Prix in Florida and were won by Sheldon Creed and Burt Jenner.
– Round 6 of 2015 was raced at the Long Beach Grand Prix and won by E.J. Viso
– Round 7 at the Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix was won by Robby Gordon. Round 8 was won by E.J. Viso, while Burt Jenner won the final round and was crowned the overall weekend champion.
– The SST by Traxxas series will race with the Verizon IndyCar series four times in 2015 – the St. Petersburg, Long Beach, Belle Isle Detroit and Toronto Grand Prixs.
– The SST by Traxxas series also races at venues including sites along the Las Vegas Strip, in stadiums and at purpose-built courses held in conjunction with large festival-style activities.
– The Stadium Super Trucks raced in Barbados in December 2014 as part of the International Race of Champions.
– The Stadium Super Trucks made their X Games debut with overwhelming popularity in 2014 and were featured live on ESPN and ABC.
– Sheldon Creed won Gold at X Games Austin in Round 10 on June 7, 2015
– Scotty Steele captured his first SST victory in Round 11 at the Indy Toronto
-Keegan Kincaid earned his third victory of the season in Round 12 in Toronto
– PJ Jones claimed his third SST Victory in three years with Round 13 at Costa Mesa, Calif.
– Sheldon Creed captured his fifth and sixth victory of 2015 in Round 15 and 16 at the Sand Sports Super Show in Costa Mesa, Calif.
– The SSTs are identically prepared 600 horsepower purpose-built race vehicles, modeled after their Traxxas radio control namesake.
– At every SST event, fans can test and purchase Traxxas RC cars and trucks at the Traxxas display. At OC Fair & Event Center display and “Try Me Track” is located in the paddock which like the SST paddock is open to general admission ticket holders.
– Every SST truck competes on unmodified DOT-approved Toyo Tires. A fan can purchase the same Toyo A/T Open Country 35×12.5xR17 tires for their truck or SUV.
– Various SST by Traxxas videos, which have generated more than 10 million views since Dec. 1, 2014, can be seen at www.facebook.com/
SPEED Energy Stadium SUPER Trucks Presented by Traxxas
Driver Roster Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
No. 2 Matt Mingay Gold Coast, Queensland, Aus. Hot Wheels/ Castrol Edge
No. 7 Robby Gordon Orange, Calif. SPEED Energy / Traxxas / Toyo Tires
No. 14 Greg Gartner Penola, South Australia, Australia Toyo Tires/ Clipsal 500
No. 47 Keegan Kincaid Crandon, Wisc. Traxxas
No. 48 Scotty Steele Peoria, Ariz. Def Leppard / Live/ Think Loud Recordings
No. 50 Burt Jenner Los Angeles, Calif. Gladiator Tires
No. 57 Bill Hynes Nazareth, Penn. Def Leppard / Live/ Think Loud Recordings
No. 67 Paul Morris; Norwell, Queensland, Australia SuperCheapAuto
No. 69 Brett Thomas; Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia TFH Hire / Illuminated Water
No. 74 Sheldon Creed; Alpine, Calif. Traxxas
No. 83 Matt Brabham; Def Leppard / Live/ United Fiber & Data / Think Loud Recordings
Influenced by the former Mickey Thompson Stadium Off-Road Racing Series, where drivers such as Gordon, Casey Mears and six-time NASCAR champion Jimmie Johnson got their start, Gordon created SST in response to the public’s overwhelming interest in trucks and off-road racing. His plan to re-launch the former stadium series has led to exciting racing on both asphalt and dirt, while producing one of the most extreme forms of action sports today.Other than the trucks launching 20 feet in the air covering distances more than 150 feet, what sets the SST program apart from other series is the fact that all the SST trucks are identically prepared and delivered to drivers in race-ready condition. Race winners are decided by driver skill rather than individual team engineering and budgets. Drivers and their personal mechanics are assigned specific SST mechanics who together tune and make minor adjustments to the 600-horsepower trucks.