LAS VEGAS, Nevada (November 5, 2015) – Sheldon Creed drove his TRAXXAS truck to victory over Robby Gordon in the season finale of the SPEED Energy Stadium SUPER Trucks Presented by TRAXXAS race Thursday night, as the standing room only crowd cheered in excitement.
Transformed overnight the Thursday event adjacent to the bright lights of the Las Vegas strip, featured two unique divisions of off-road racing. The Arctic Cat Wildcat Stadium Side x Sides, and the main attraction Stadium SUPER Trucks.
The Las Vegas victory was the 18-year-old Creed’s ninth of the season. After breaking an axle in the heat race the Alpine, Calif. off-road prodigy would blast out to the early lead from his second starting position and would never look back. By strategically taking the joker lap later in race segment Creed would be able to put sizable lead on the hard charging Arctic Cat/ Toyo Tires driver of Robby Gordon whom ran out of laps as he tried to catch the ultra quick Creed and settled for second position in the 12-lap main event.
Scotty Steele from Peoria, Arizona would overcome his hood blown up in his line of vision for majority of the race to navigate the LIVE/Think Loud Recordings/ Think Loud Advisors truck around the twisty and fast paced circuit to well earned third place finish.
NASCAR Europe standout Anthony Gandon, from Bayonne, France making his first SST start drove a smooth and clean race to finish with a respectable fourth place finish in the Red Style!/ Carrosserie Ayensa truck. Rounding out the top five was famed Gold Coast, Australia Stuntman turned SST driver Matt Mingay, driving for Team LIVE/Think Loud Recordings/United Fiber and Data.
Gandon and Mingay whom both traveled thousands of miles to participate in the SST Las Vegas event both displayed huge smiles after the checkered flag flew.
“I have driven many forms of racecars, and been to many events around the globe, but these SST trucks and the event Robby Gordon and staff put on is like nothing I have ever experienced before, the chaos on track and pure entertainment for the fans is one of a kind,” stated the young Frenchmen.
The most intense battle on the track however took place between Austin, Texas driver Charles Dorrance in the Sportsman’s Finest truck and Nazareth, Penn., driver Bill Hynes in the LIVE/Think Loud Recordings/Think Loud Advisors SST. The two drivers battled hard lap after lap the entire 12-circuits, even colliding with one another and coming to a halt prior to the cross over jump on one instance. The two drivers who have battled hard with each other all year did not make the Las Vegas event an exception. Dorrance went on to finish ahead of Hynes in the sixth position, while Hynes claimed seventh.
Making his return to an SST truck since X Games Austin in 2014, Manhattan Beach, Calif. competitor Greg Adler in the Toyo Tires/ 4 Wheel Parts truck would incur some damage after sliding into the cross over under and would ultimately finish the race in eighth spot with a beaten and battered truck body.
Crandon, Wisc. driver Keegan Kincaid would encounter a broken axle after the competition caution and would not finish. His TRAXXAS truck would go on to be credited in the ninth position. Los Angeles, Calif. driver Burt Jenner in his Gladiator Tires truck would also encounter a broken axle and would be credited with the tenth.
Creed with his SST victory would go on to clinch the 2015 SST Championship ahead of Robby Gordon by merely single digits. All year long Creed and Gordon battled back and forth on the track and in the point’s standings swapping positions multiple times. Creed’s great runs in Australia the last two weeks, where Gordon got mixed up in trouble set Creed up for the opportunity to come out ahead in Las Vegas. Creed would go on to capture his first SST Championship and the first Championship for Team TRAXXAS.
Gordon would finish the points standing in the second position, while Creed’s teammate Keegan Kincaid would finish in the third position, followed by Gladiator Tire pilot Burt Jenner in the fourth position.
Joining the SST trucks as a support category for the second time in 2015 was the ultra popular Arctic Cat Wildcat Stadium Side x Sides. Just like their big brother the SST’s the Wildcats are identically prepared, and put the drivers up against one another with pure driving talent. SST drivers took the reigns of the Wildcat’s this night and just like in the SST race Sheldon Creed and Robby Gordon broke out to the early lead and would go on to finish that way three wheeling and sliding thru the corners truely displaying the power and capability of the Wildcat suspension.
The SST race from the Las Vegas Village in Las Vegas will be shown on CBSSN November 18 at 9 p.m. ET/ 6 p.m. PT with a re-air on November 22.
As the 2015 North American SST season has come to an end, the season will continue with a non points race at the Coates Hire Sydney 500 December 4-6 in Sydney, NSW, Australia. SST will once again begin its 2016 season at the Clipsal 500 in Adelaide, Australia March 3-6 followed by a full slate of races globally, a complete schedule will be announced in the coming weeks.
SPEED Energy Stadium Super Trucks Presented by TRAXXAS
– 2015 is the third season of SPEED Energy Stadium Super Trucks by TRAXXAS.
– The first SST race was held at University of Phoenix Stadium on April 6, 2013 and was won by off-road racing veteran Rob MacCachren.
– The first event of the 2015 SST season featured three races in Adelaide, Australia with E.J. Viso, Sheldon Creed and Keegan Kincaid taking victories.
– Rounds 4 and 5 of the 2015 season took place at the St. Petersburg Grand Prix in Florida and were won by Sheldon Creed and Burt Jenner.
– Round 6 of 2015 was raced at the Long Beach Grand Prix and won by E.J. Viso
– Round 7 at the Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix was won by Robby Gordon. Round 8 was won by E.J. Viso, while Burt Jenner won the final round and was crowned the overall weekend champion.
– The SST by Traxxas series will race with the Verizon IndyCar series four times in 2015 – the St. Petersburg, Long Beach, Belle Isle Detroit and Toronto Grand Prixs.
– The SST by Traxxas series also races at venues including sites along the Las Vegas Strip, in stadiums and at purpose-built courses held in conjunction with large festival-style activities.
– The Stadium Super Trucks raced in Barbados in December 2014 as part of the International Race of Champions.
– The Stadium Super Trucks made their X Games debut with overwhelming popularity in 2014 and were featured live on ESPN and ABC.
– Sheldon Creed won Gold at X Games Austin in Round 10 on June 7, 2015
– Scotty Steele captured his first SST victory in Round 11 at the Indy Toronto
-Keegan Kincaid earned his third victory of the season in Round 12 in Toronto
– PJ Jones claimed his third SST Victory in three years with Round 13 at Costa Mesa, Calif.
– Sheldon Creed captured his four and fifth victory of 2015 in Round 15 and 16 at the Sand Sports Super Show in Costa Mesa, Calif.
– Burt Jenner claims his third victory of the year with the Race 1 victory at the Gold Coast 600 in Surfers Paradise, Queensland, Australia
– Sheldon Creed captures his sixth and seventh victory of the year on the Surfers Paradise street circuit in Gold Coast, Australia
-Sheldon Creed captures his eighth Stadium SUPER Trucks win of the season in the first all dirt event since 2013 at the Valvoline Raceway in Granville, NSW, Australia
– Matt Mingay becomes the first ever Australian to win in Stadium SUPER Trucks competition with his Race 4 win at the Gold Coast 600 at Surfers Paradise.
-Under the lights of fabulous Las Vegas Sheldon Creed captured his ninth victory of the season en route to his first 2015 SST Championship
– The SSTs are identically prepared 600 horsepower purpose-built race vehicles, modeled after their TRAXXAS radio control namesake.
– Every SST truck competes on unmodified DOT-approved Toyo Tires. A fan can purchase the same Toyo A/T Open Country 35×12.5xR17 tires for their truck or SUV.
– Various SST by Traxxas videos, which have generated more than 10 million views since Dec. 1, 2014, can be seen atwww.facebook.com/stadiumsupertrucks.
SPEED Energy Stadium SUPER Trucks Presented by Traxxas
Las Vegas Village Finish Las Vegas, Nevada
1. Sheldon Creed No. 74; Alpine, Calif.; TRAXXAS
2. Robby Gordon No. 7; Orange, Calif.; SPEED Energy/Toyo Tires/TRAXXAS
3. Scotty Steele No. 48; Peoria, Ariz.; LIVE/Think Loud
Recordings/United Fiber & Data
4. Anthony Gandon No. 777; Bayonne, France; Red Style!/Carrosserie Ayensa
5. Matt Mingay No. 2; Gold Coast, Queensland, Aus. LIVE/ Think Loud Recordings/
United Fiber & Data
6. Charles Dorrance No. 3; Austin, Texas; Sportsman’s Finest
7. Bill Hynes No. 57; Nazareth, Penn.; LIVE/
Think Loud Recordings/United Fiber & Data
8. Greg Adler No. 10; Manhattan Beach, California; Toyo Tires/ 4 Wheel Parts
9. Keegan Kincaid Crandon, Wisc.; TRAXXAS
10. Burt Jenner No. 50; Los Angeles, Calif. Gladiator Tires
2015 SPEED Energy Stadium Super Trucks Presented by TRAXXAS
2015 Season Winners
Round No. Race Location Race Date Winner
1 Adelaide, Australia Feb. 27, 2015 E.J. Viso
2 Adelaide, Australia Feb. 28, 2015 Sheldon Creed
3 Adelaide, Australia March 1, 2015 Keegan Kincaid
4 St. Petersburg, Fla. March 28, 2015 Sheldon Creed
5 St. Petersburg, Fla. March 29, 2015 Burt Jenner
6 Long Beach, Calif. April 19, 2015 E.J. Viso
7 Detroit, Mich. May 29, 2015 Robby Gordon
8 Detroit, Mich. May 30, 2015 E.J. Viso
9 Detroit, Mich. May 31, 2015 Burt Jenner
10 Austin, Texas June 7, 2015 Sheldon Creed
11 Toronto, Ont., Canada June 13, 2015 Scotty Steele
12 Toronto, Ont., Canada June 14, 2015 Keegan Kincaid
13 Costa Mesa, Calif. Sept. 18, 2015 PJ Jones
14 Costa Mesa, Calif. Sept. 19, 2015 Sheldon Creed
15 Costa Mesa, Calif. Sept. 20, 2015 Sheldon Creed
16 Gold Coast, Queensland Oct. 23, 2015 Burt Jenner
17 Gold Coast, Queensland Oct. 24, 2015 Sheldon Creed
18 Gold Coast, Queensland Oct. 25, 2015 Sheldon Creed
19 Gold Coast, Queensland Oct. 25, 2015 Matt Mingay
20 Granville, NSW Oct. 31,2015 Sheldon Creed
21 Las Vegas, Nevada Nov. 5, 2915 Sheldon Creed
About SPEED Energy Stadium SUPER Trucks Presented by Traxxas
Influenced by the former Mickey Thompson Stadium Off-Road Racing Series, where drivers such as Gordon, Casey Mears and six-time NASCAR champion Jimmie Johnson got their start, Gordon created SST in response to the public’s overwhelming interest in trucks and off-road racing. His plan to re-launch the former stadium series has led to exciting racing on both asphalt and dirt, while producing one of the most extreme forms of action sports today.
Other than the trucks launching 20 feet in the air covering distances more than 150 feet, what sets the SST program apart from other series is the fact that all the SST trucks are identically prepared and delivered to drivers in race-ready condition. Race winners are decided by driver skill rather than individual team engineering and budgets. Drivers and their personal mechanics are assigned specific SST mechanics who together tune and make minor adjustments to the 600-horsepower trucks.