Fuel Cell?

This site earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dirtbag1

Spotter Required
May 11, 2023
Temecula California
I need some edjimication on fuel cells. I have seen a lot of people with plastic ones but also see alot of steel ones. From what I read the aluminum ones have a tendency to crack!?!? Should I be looking for one specific for rock crawling? Is there specific's for pickup location or a bladder/baffles? My rig will be more of a drive to trail rig so i'm thinking somewhere around 10-12 gallons. Small 4 cyl so not a gas hog. If anyone has brands they could tell that would help too, I have no experience with any fuel cell. Thank You

Fuel cells are such a tossup....I have a cheapo 12g aluminum cell off Amazon, added 3 bungs for mounting and a Hydramat for pickup. Works perfectly, and zero issues. External pump below the fuel cell level and under the seat.

Others I know hate their external pumps and have constant issues. Others hate the alum cells and have had them crack.

Maybe I just got lucky 😁

Im running a plastic bladder in a steel surround. No Foam. Its an 8-gal Jaz unit, but they make several different sizes. Aluminum will eventually crack and if you go plastic, make sure its nice and protecting from potential punctures. Easy part for the plastic cells is adding additional fittings or fill plates as needed. You can even buy blanks and build it your as you see fit.

I hung my fuel cell from the top plate of the steel box. Its down nice and low for COG and better visibility.
7tJKokp5dG_-xiZN7LtexNT0oLgZb-_bgPyymYE5Qx3cVgnYTPPhzuthCAy2s82-81ODGjqwhyDyfGh-Zcx7pOKOGAi6WROz56ZFTAcWALbtmndTjeyj-Qg8URLLfk7Vcd84fCjHQpyxm7bn0hZc5SCRnBI4XJYMpXxmxD92gw1sopT4Pj5SW92cOq3ToaRAzrd7rW5nMNoK-xDhSbjm8CX8KszjjKQCLMANHnlQUrnZQDXA_BFQzVo5lJOrzdP8miPfIj5wpYdfWPKGOf23VmTVTH2XRojm3KeYLUhc04A44uKtzGhRW8mCyDJ9l5AwU7llueNZH--269nn2nXdZyZa-h2Kn2ttIohj70IlhVS60Cxvm5vmKjVfxb3Rp_RKdHU4bWNNi8jjgCev9PaxGXtz50U6_MhDIojHaHRm6v_c9yQdvQuFuyqBrF0G00MncEQ9tSSq_3vbf0t4nKfwo4Bl81HInMvUrLFSMvvbYy-bwNg6R9zQgrtzATXvePJjEK25Yb4WD73Cgbnabqb0k1zlVh-zGUx70nr6qx7C2RUad3cHnR2qplCwnGNuE0gjaqS7WU9wLiv1ZMPf5pC0Z6RmVUijJNviUXAcIPNFCu6j-R4r7QHMeDT3M4fP8d0YLs6UhiUOTXYSa0KEB45Y7QB0DkWaJ-7-orFddZv7Cok8YIcgLA3AhnToonny9yXgNP-Z-a_cmnlfxfZZgWN5ra8cLOwk5Gs99IK81B7qyuca2iZ8jeopPbY7DMjRNZZ0XeEk-EjYqBcslUKhpytJiRvm1OcNND8ywRQO8UFzdAwjKwqSIYr-exUzOE7_rqSlqf_a49QSKu80L9dlYNHd9eu6t9XzH-mc0uxXaKNvdpcymWH1xM5fsUO3fC_DK34vCvV8d0Eb9BtI1oF_2e2JO2p8c6Tq0CB7-NtncXmOi1sbMg=w1292-h969-s-no

Thank you for the info guys!! This really helps when you don't have experience with these things, Appreciate it!! and Sorry in advance for the newbie questions!!

I've heard those hydro mats work really well, sounds like a good idea.

Can anyone shine a little light on having FOAM inside the fuel cell? I get the help for sloshing, but in a rock crawler when being on angles will this help to not starve an inline pump and keep the flow going? Thanks

Thank you for the info guys!! This really helps when you don't have experience with these things, Appreciate it!! and Sorry in advance for the newbie questions!!

I've heard those hydro mats work really well, sounds like a good idea.

Can anyone shine a little light on having FOAM inside the fuel cell? I get the help for sloshing, but in a rock crawler when being on angles will this help to not starve an inline pump and keep the flow going? Thanks

The hydromat will ensure you have fuel as long as one corner of it is touching fuel. It really is the best solution for what we do, but they are pricey.

Foam eventually breaks down, then clogs everything in the fuel system (filter, pump, injectors, etc). Its not worth it.

No foam. Hydramat is basically a sponge, the entire cell could be "dry" and the fuel soaked in the mat will keep you running. Worth every penny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom