Hello from Flagstaff AZ

This site earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oakesmi2

Loves Light Bars
Nov 19, 2020
Flagstaff, AZ
I wanted to introduce myself.
I have been wheeling for quite a while and have taken my LJ quite a few places but once I saw what was possible with a buggy I was hooked. It has taken me several years to get to the point where I could pull the trigger and get a build started.
I bought a partially finished Goat Built/JHF 2 seat chassis. I look forward to completing it and getting back up to Sand Hallow to test it out and hopefully learning how to drive better from the locals.
PXL_20210112_004619512.jpg

Hey, I’m also in Flagstaff. Don’t know anyone local that wheels/fabs/etc. I’ll send you a message with my number, it’d be nice to meet some folks.

Thanks for the warm welcome. Woody, I am sure you don't remember because you guys were busy keeping things rolling but we met back in October at Trail Hero.
I was a trial guide for one day and I judged course 3 at super crawl and helped Crystal with what every she needed. I would love to be more involved in the planning of next years event. It was a blast and I will be back to Sand Hallow as soon as this buggy is ready.

My plan for this rig is to build a capable trail rig that I can improve my driving skills with and increase my fab/building experience as well.

As fare as the build specs. goes, It has a LS 6.0 liter, TH400, I have an Atlas on the way (I found a case that someone did not end up using).
I have a D60 out of a 93 F250, and a 14 bolt out of a 2003. I would love to have portal axles with rear steer but I also realize that this rig is going to be more capable that my driving skills. Rear steer maybe a bit of a stretch for both my capabilities and budget. I am not going to go to crazy with these axles so I should be able to sell them in the future and upgrade when the time comes.

Anyway, I am taking my time and making sure I do the best work I can do.

My old FToy was an excellent skill builder for the 4 years I had it....no regrets! Shoulda never sold it.... Not having rear steer forced a lot of learning...if you didn't already, do a rear selectable (ARB or whatever) and cutting brakes. That combo opens a ridiculous number of options on the trails. Even with rear steer in my new car, its getting the ARB/cutters to give me every tool possible (well, other than front cutters and a pinion brake....lol)

Trail Hero is a blur every year....the core crew just puts our heads down and forges thru. 2020 was the biggest and best yet, and there are bigger plans for 2021 already. And with the addition of the SuperCrawl series, even more going on!

I was talking to the guy you sold your F-Toy to. He was beaming after a day of wheeling it but then he took out the R&P and he felt bad about it.
It sounds like he ended up buying it.

Yes cutting brakes and air lockers are in order for this build. Would you recommend front and rear cutting brake? I am surprised at how well people do with good line collection and cutting breaks.

one more question what tires are you and Rich planning for your current builds?

I was talking to the guy you sold your F-Toy to. He was beaming after a day of wheeling it but then he took out the R&P and he felt bad about it.
It sounds like he ended up buying it.

Yes cutting brakes and air lockers are in order for this build. Would you recommend front and rear cutting brake? I am surprised at how well people do with good line collection and cutting breaks.

one more question what tires are you and Rich planning for your current builds?
He actually took out an RCV and inner shaft....fortunately, I had both in the shop for spares :)

If you are competing, I can see where front cutters would be helpful. IMO, rears do wonders all on their own. I'm only doing rears for this new build.

Rich is running 42" BFG Reds, I'll be starting out on 40" Milestar blacks and switching to their 42's when they get released later this year :)

He actually took out an RCV and inner shaft....fortunately, I had both in the shop for spares :)

If you are competing, I can see where front cutters would be helpful. IMO, rears do wonders all on their own. I'm only doing rears for this new build.

Rich is running 42" BFG Reds, I'll be starting out on 40" Milestar blacks and switching to their 42's when they get released later this year :)
It looks like you have been using the Milestars for a while now what do you think of them? What are their strengths and weaknesses?
Are their any-tradeoffs. It appears that they have a good value. Do they have adequate side wall strength for the sharper rocks that we have down here in Arizona canyon walls?

Do they have adequate side wall strength for the sharper rocks that we have down here in Arizona canyon walls?
I have had zero complaints with my Milestars....Arkansas, Texas, Utah are the only places I've run them however. I do know some other buggy drivers who have had sidewalls issues, but an "on road" break-in to heat soak the sidewalls seems to help. My FToy was all gearing, no horsepower and little weight. I'm also curious to how they hold up with some "real" horsepower and more aggressive driving options. That said, it IS hard to beat the price point. They are NOT Red Label BFG's, but their sidewalls can struggle as well. Traction-wise, they just take a bit more patience to come in on climbs. Sand performance is very good (which we have a little of here in Sand Hollow...haha)

I know a lot of feedback was provided when they started their work on the 42's....curious to how much of that stuck and how that tire compares when it comes out later this year.

RE rear cutting brakes and rear locker, after having switched to this on my YJ, my new buggy is getting the same mod. And it's not just for rock crawling. It's also great for any tight turns in any condition - even snow. We were snow wheeling in the woods a couple weeks back and my buddy couldn't follow me in the tight turns. :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom