Hey i'm new to the world of wheeling, so i need some advice on a cheap buildup

This site earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'd be all over that Scout versus the F250...far more fun on the trails, easier to maneuver, and definitely more unique :)

Oddly, the multicolor panels just add to it...

Well, the negotiations didn't go well, the guy wants way too much for the scout. So, instead I'm going to take it into class, so I can tear the motor apart, and see what all it needs to get it running.

Yeah, tried that three times, luckily, since its a high school class, labor is free, mostly cuz I'm doing it myself ;)

I'd have kept the F250 over the scout. A 460 is a stupid cheap motor. I bet you could find a running one for a couple hundred bucks..

keep your eyes open on Craigslist for some tires. Or buy retreads.

Yeah, I'm going to tear the motor apart, see if its worth rebuilding, if not I'm going to start looking for another one.

Got the truck on the hoist today, frame looks better than i thought, still not great. Gonna start yankin the motor tomorrow.

I walked in today and saw a Subaru under my truck, forgot to take picks though, it was pretty comical!
The frame made a couple creaks and groans when i lowered it back down, scared the crap out of everyone standing next to it too.

Sorry i haven't been posting pics, i keep forgetting, got the heads, one manifold, intake, and water pump off. Had both of the shop teachers try turning the crank again, both failed, then my friend tried, and finally got it broke free. Plans are re-ring kit, and brakes. It

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 393
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 381
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 403
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 401
Since you have it rotating you might as well use it. The 390 gets about the same mpg. I own both. If you want a 4 speed still, might look at a mid 80's 1 or 3/4 ton, the four speeds have synchronized 1st gear. I have np435 in my Scout and wish I have a synchro sometimes. Oh, the 460 market of parts is bigger than the FE parts market.

image.jpg
image.jpg
Well, it's been a while, so I figured an update is in order. Unfortunately I didn't have the funds to finish the truck like I planned, ran into too many complications. Sold it for $700 total, and picked up this little gem for $1050, and guess what? It runs! 1996 ford bronco 4" lift of 33's, figure its a good start. And even better, it came with the northern michigan charm! (Aka rust)
image.jpg

Same basic drivetrain I have in my FJ60. 5.0 to a AOD. I've been really happy with my drivetrain!

Bummer is that it'll have that Twin traction beam front D44. You can get stupid amounts of travel out of them, but they LOOOOOOVVVVEEEEEE to eat tires.

What are the new plans?

For right now I'm gonna do a Detroit in the rear, and eventually do a SAS with an air locker. Put a body lift, 35's, and call it good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom