Low range options for my build?

This site earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

frostysalt

Loves Light Bars
Jun 22, 2023
Utah
So im starting a completely scratch build with what i have and i was looking for some options to get capable low range with my motor/ trans ill be running. Newer to this stuff and im gonna be learning a lot on the build.

But anyways, im gonna be building off of a 1974 datsun pickup and im gonna be building it for legends class. Leafs up front and a 4 linked rear, dana 60/44. What im trying to decide is what motor to use and what trans. My options for motors are a supercharged 3800 out of a 97 grand prix or a 4.3l v6 out of 97 blazer.

For transmissions as far as i can tell, or from what ive been told, 4l60e or 700r4 trans and then my question is what options do i have to get actual rock crawler low range out of it without going atlas or stak? Like i said im newer to the scene and its my first build. Im having a hard time wrapping my head around my transfer case options.I want to eventually go atlas but that shits expensive lol

Unfortunately, lower transfer case gearing is always expensive...especially if you want the case to survive for any length of time. At this point, Atlas is still the king and the "least ridiculously priced" relative to most other options. Portal buggys can get away with stock D300 cases, but then the $$$ is in the axles.

I think the 4.3 uses a 90 degree trans mount, so the options are FAR easier/cheaper than the 60 degree trans mount of the L67/3800. I do love my 3800 tho :)

Your best bet is to keep your eyes peeled on the classifieds for a used transfer case. Deals can be had, but youre going to spend at least $2k on a used Atlas. Axle gears can help for the time being until you can find one. But if youre going to be racing, Atlas is the best option IMO.

I had a CPI 4.3 in my first crawler (82 toyota truck) and i couldnt kill the thing. Great torque for crawling, but for racing, id look into something else and newer. Aluminum blocked LS engines are what id be looking for. This will definitely require some firewall modifications in the Datsun to get it to fit if you want to fit a front radiator. Good luck on the project, sounds fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom