Need some help

This site earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dennis Jarrett

Loves Light Bars
Dec 15, 2016
So I opened up my M20 for a re-gear and found that one of the carrier bearing races has spun and there was damage on the inside of the race and bearing as well. There is a little scaring on the housing and it seems that the old race is not very tight. There was no noise from the rear end at all so I did not anticipate finding this. I do already have all of the parts to rebuild so I am somewhat invested in this path already.

Is there something I can do to repair it or should I look for a replacement?

I know about the woes of the m20 but the budget does not allow for a beefier axle unless absolutely necessary. I was planning on the upgrade next year or so.

0123171453b.jpg

0123171453a.jpg

0123171452c.jpg

I would put the new bearing races in there ans see how tight they are. If they are reasonable. I'd put it back together and wheel it.

Is this a daily driver or? That race was hammered.. I cannot believe the bearing was not making some noise with that wear..

I would put the new bearing races in there ans see how tight they are. If they are reasonable. I'd put it back together and wheel it.

Is this a daily driver or? That race was hammered.. I cannot believe the bearing was not making some noise with that wear..

Once I am done with my rebuild it will be somewhat of a DD.
I am having a hard time with the lack of noise as well. I put just the old race in and tightened the bolts, not torqued though, and was able to pull the race out by hand. I have not busted into the install kit yet because if it was a lost cause I would just return it intact. I kind of want to carry on and let it buck but am a little timid. I guess if it frags on me I will have good reason to replace it.

Put the race that did not spin in there and see if it comes out by hand. If so the housing is likely junk. But you can pick up another model 20 for cheap and put your new parts in it.

Question is, does the NEW race spin? I've known builders to "lock" them into place with some red-lock-tite, but for that to be effective, it can't be too loose in the caps.

Not saying this is the right thing to do or necessarily saying to do it, but I have seen where someone took a small center punch to it and then added a little locktite like Woody mentioned. He punched it a few times to create a small rough spot just enough to catch so it wouldn't spin.

It was a last resort thing my old service manager did to help a customer who had the same thing happen and to my knowledge it worked, he never did come back.

Last edited:
Thank you for everyone's replies. I am going to go with some locktite because the new one seems right enough. If it frags then I guess I will replace it. Hopefully I will get some use out of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom