New Hauler - '97 FL120 w/450HP

This site earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lil Rich

Spotter Required
Media Partner
Nov 26, 2016
Sand Hollow
So I just picked up this beaut for $7,000. Comes from a friend with great service records, Brand New Michelin tires all around, and an idea of what I could use it for. I did not get the trailer. The plan is to Flat bed the rear frame large enough to barely get a rig on the back (In case it is a solo trip), yet still haul a Gooseneck or 5th Wheel. Eventually make a Rubicon and Fordyce trip from Utah with a couple buddies rigs. We should be able to take 3 rigs out with the right trailer.

What do you guys think?

15123355_1495927637091376_7195217848173486493_o.jpg

Get a wedge, you can fit four :)

Guess on what MPG you'll get? And what trailer are you planning on? Bumper pull camper with the buggy on the hauler would work nicely :)

True, Definitely an option. Jeff gets 10.9 MPG with that trailer and his buggy inside running around 70mph. I will be considerably lighter, but I don't think the mpg will change too much. Still better than stressing out our current tow rig/Wife's rig (Denali). This new buggy will be heavier than the Willys and I am tired of keeping an eye on the tranny gauge on long ascents.

No current plans on a trailer yet. I want to actually convert an old Beverage Trailer into a hauler/living quarters. Keep the tail of the flatbed handy for when we go to a town like Moab so we can drop the trailer and still get to all the trails without packing up camp. This set up will keep the buggy dry as well, always a plus! :smokin:

You might consider a smallish camp trailer, one that would work behind the Denali for weekends in Mesquite ;)

Every option is a compromise...we toyed with a dozen ideas before settling on the Ram/truck camper/trailer setup. It's overall worked well but still has limitations. H is talking something "bigger" now that we aren't 1500 miles from Moab...used to always need one UTV and one truck for trips, we can run lighter now and use her GX to tow the buggy to Sand Hollow.

Which reminds me, I need to test that combo once the new/heavier rear coils get installed in there...note to self :p

Perfect....looks like that hitch/dove extension comes off? Make that with "all" receiver connections (1 low, 2 high) and it will be easy to remove too.

I may even try and find a way that you could slide the ramps out from under the fladbed part, or spin them out from behind the rear wheel so that there is no lifting involved. I am kicking around a couple ideas in my head...

You'd need to pull the rams to use the goose hitch from the look of things.

I'd make it as easily removable as possible..

Drove the rig home today. There are a couple things I have to fix, drivers window needs a little help to roll up, sound proof the cab a bit, and re seal the doors.

I also had to relearn to shift without using the clutch, been 5 years since I had to drive a big truck, lol

Done anything with this?
I haven't touched mine in months. Hope it starts when it warms up.
Let me know if you need any measurements or pics of it.

Done anything with this?
I haven't touched mine in months. Hope it starts when it warms up.
Let me know if you need any measurements or pics of it.

I have only filled it up and given it a couple quick drives. I have been focusing on the buggy so much that I haven't had much time for this.

@JoeyATM Do you have any pictures to add to this thread?

Why yes I do! I am not sure how I managed to miss this thread. Guess I need to spend more time here!

Here are some of the pics from start to Rich taking it home. It turned out pretty awesome, there are still a few things that I think we will work on to add to it but it worked to haul his 4 Runner from my shop to La Verkin, Ut

Here are some photos...
IMG_3818.JPG

IMG_3828.JPG

unnamed.jpg

17098549_1932581413629671_8327370187430598943_n.jpg

17362652_1939013522986460_6978532611554415373_n.jpg

I don't have one but it is tight. the rear tires sit dead middle on the back rail. The buggy will fit closer to the cab...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom