Nylon brake lines

This site earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woody

eternal noobie
Staff member
Oct 12, 2010
Toquerville UT
Anyone? Looking at options for my JHF build, and tons of Google searches seem to confirm that there are no issues....provided you route your lines properly to avoid heat/abrasion. I had zero issues with the nylon ARB lines in my FToy because I was cautious with my routing layout.

I'm also thinking of a "compromise" of stainless-braided between the axle and caliper, then nylon for the balance. Just need to chase down the appropriate -3an to nylon adapter.

decisions decisions...

Last edited:
Most of the guys I wheel with used them and have had no issues.

I used them on my last buggy with zero issues. It used 3/4 and 1/2 ton calipers with willwood 3/4 master cylinders. My brakes sucked so i'm assuming the pressure was "low" for a braking system. I routed them carefully and even put fuel line around them in some areas for extra protection. Great bang for the buck!

I also used them on a buddies YJ with a vacuum booster. He had great brakes and never had any issues either.

That said I have heard of people (no first hand experience) running hydro boost or higher pressure system having issues with the lines swelling and causing bad or soft brake pedals / reduced performance. If I go manual brakes again i'm going to use nylon again. If I choose to go hydro boost i'll run braided -3AN lines and hard lines.

I linked my YJ in 2008 and used the plastic lines from Stock Car Products. To date I would say that 75% of the lines are original. (for those that are math challenged, that's 13 years. LOL) The reason the percentage isn't higher is because I changed out some of the rear when I added a cutting brake a couple years back. I've snagged them a few times on branches and it's a 15 minute fix as compared to vise grips if you snag a steel line. Or vise grip it off till you get back to camp and it's a camp fix vs running into town for a steel line.

Low cost, easy to run and route and easy to repair. In your world of no trees or underbrush it seems like a no brainer.

As to effectiveness, I've never had "great" brakes where I could lock up all 4 tires on pavement but I've never had a problem holding position on a steep climb.

96170136_235377307532599_5273397868646891520_n.jpg

I've ran them on several rigs with very little issues. They are awesome to bleed because you can see air bubbles and also super easy to repair. I also did stainless between axle and caliper. The word on the street is allstar is tougher than speedway/afco but I've used them with no issue.

I just ordered up the Speedway kit today....hard to beat $29 for most of what you need. Added in a handful of extra 90's for the cutting brakes too.

Will take one of the straight pieces and cap the end....keeps it available in the tool bag to cap off a line if needed (will have splice fittings along too, but never know)

They all have the same burst pressure....guess one could use higher quality line than the others.

For now, running nylon to the caliper...may yet change my mind and run stainless from the knuckles out....decisions decisions....lol

Used them on last rig. Only failure was a freezing issue with ice buildup snow wheeling and a huge ass rock landing on one once. Super easy to splice and keep going. I used kit from 2 different sources and eahh had different hose. One was thicker and a Parker number. Forget where each was sourced from.

I just ordered up the Speedway kit today....hard to beat $29 for most of what you need. Added in a handful of extra 90's for the cutting brakes too.

Will take one of the straight pieces and cap the end....keeps it available in the tool bag to cap off a line if needed (will have splice fittings along too, but never know)

They all have the same burst pressure....guess one could use higher quality line than the others.

For now, running nylon to the caliper...may yet change my mind and run stainless from the knuckles out....decisions decisions....lol
Going to tap calipers or run a conversion fitting? I assume you're going to run Jesse's brakes as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom