Old rock crawling stories

This site earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

POR

Spotter Required
Jan 30, 2017
So I live in area with a bunch of old S&N chassis. A guy on our local forum just finished a rescued chassis. He was talking about some drive flanges SN made before they closed their doors, that he wanted to find. It got me thinking about my factory tubular chassis and I remembered back in the day they had their own beadlocks with Johnny G' s signature on them. How cool would those be to find. So me and a friend are talking about this and another of our friends has an old avalanche chassis (karnivore if you remember) if memory serves me correct Johnny G drove the karnivore before it was raffled off and was sponsored by ftm as well.. I wish we would have realized the history that was sitting next next to each other when we had my ftm car next to his avalanche..

I had the mis-fortune of spending my formative wheeling years in Wisconsin...land of no rocks :) I do recall wheeling at the Badlands a long time back, and IIRC it was Sonny Henniger (sp?) that showed up with a YJ running a Chevy IFS front and 1/4 elliptical rear with rear steer....strange combo, for sure!

That's an interesting set up.. how did it work? Seems like it would have alot of broken parts.. then again that was ramp champ days back then. I remember 1/4 elliptical front and rear lol

eh....it wasn't impressive, by any means, the IFS was obviously an experiment that bombed in that setup.

My first link suspension project was a rear 1/4 ellip in my FJ40, it balanced well with the SOA front and some 39's. Heavy, but cheap and functional :) Still occasionally wish I had kept it together...

I did one back in the day, it was good untill I broke it.. then it just wouldn't stay together

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom