Build Portal Buggy revamp

This site earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any updates on this thing?
Awww damn. I’m kinda stalled out with work. Everything works great. 2000 stall Torque converter seems perfect. 3.9 putts around and climbs easily but is also easily stopped in 4 low. The engine has an oil leak on the front left side up high that drips on the exhaust under the oil pan which broke my heart 👎👎. The power is surprisingly good without water in the front tires.

Need to find oil leak
Finish building trail rack

IMG_1043.jpeg

IMG_7169.jpeg

IMG_7594.jpeg

Finally got it out to sand hollow for Labor Day weekend. 99% happy with my build. Met up with the local trial slayers Matt Jory, Woody and Dave Wong. Watched Matt climb that impossible Cluster**** and tried to follow up on the easier side. Stripped the teeth on the front ring gear went home 😢. Now I’m goin through both 3rd members

D170E2BA-12B7-40FE-B52A-C53016967EDC.jpeg

so you had a week,
Finally got it out to sand hollow for Labor Day weekend. 99% happy with my build. Met up with the local trial slayers Matt Jory, Woody and Dave Wong. Watched Matt climb that impossible Cluster**** and tried to follow up on the easier side. Stripped the teeth on the front ring gear went home 😢. Now I’m goin through both 3rd members

View attachment 17272
yeeouch! Did a few of those when I had the FToy.

AMSOIL 80w-90 has served me well, roughly 3 quarts per diff. I have had zero r/p issues. Keep the backlash tight, mine is .07 in the rear.

I'm about to swap my rear out to try overdrive (4.88f/5.29r) and see how I like it.

Axle Pros is Fresno got me new ring and pinions. Cryogenically frozen and micro polished. Alec thought my failure was the adjuster leaving the chat. He guilted me into refilling with synthetic maxima oil!!! Cannot wait to get this thing back out

EE484748-D068-4029-B680-364DE32D1927.jpeg

Synth oil, always....I'm an AMSOIL users, but there are a bunch. And overfill :) IMO, I'd also "presoak" the pinion area with a little synth before installing. Synth oil is sticky, may as well get it sticky before install.

I did cryo on some Toyota gears many years ago, definitely seems to help.

Hey thank you👍. I have not weighed this car. But the front tires are full of water to the top of rims. James Treacy claimed this was 280 lbs each wheel. guessing 3700 lbs
42/20s is 275# of water at top of wheel, plus the 150# tire/wheel combo (estimate)

My portal rig is around 3800#, with a 58/42 bias running front water just under half way. My front tire/wheel/water combo weighs 350# (scaled for accuracy)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom