Sandy Hollow

This site earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jeeppoor

Spotter Required
Apr 26, 2019
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Looking to go out to Sandy Hollow in 20212 (I turn 60 in April).
Don't want to do any events. Don't want no big crowds. Getting to old for that.
When would be the best time of the year to go weather wise?

Mid June thru early September is the time to avoid.

January/February can be wet and cool, but snow is very rare.

Spring and Fall for the win :)

Ok that sounds good.
How many days should we plan for?
I was figuring at lease one day for site seeing (the wife would like to see the pictographs and if there are any abandonee towns or mines),
And then hit some moderate trails and work our way up to the harder ones.

That all depends on your wheeling speed...LOL

I'd plan two named trails daily, that usually fills in a morning and afternoon....also depends on what level of trail you are planning on, and how big the group is.

Some trail descriptions...not all are on there, since some are new in 2019 or are not part of the W4x4J schedule. However, most off that list are rated 9 or higher (the scale now goes to 15). 10 rated trails are "easy" buggy trails with likely body damage. 9 rated trails are at last partially doable with full sheet metal, but no guarantees. 12's are best done with full link suspensions and 39/40 tires.

That covers most of what's out there..."well set up" is pretty open, but my 1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser double locked on 35's is good for anything up to 7 rated. It has scratches and dings as a result however.

Double Sammy is a must, Milts Mile, Sliplock, John's Trail, Wayne's World, Triple 7's, Plan B, West Rim.

It is called Sand Hollow, youngster;)

woody's suggestions should keep you busy for 3-4 days -- all fun. If those are not challenging enough, try Joint Effort. TNT and Chain Reaction. Run those, share pictures and we will all be impressed:smokin:

Last edited:
It is called Sand Hollow, youngster;)

woody's suggestions should keep you busy for 3-4 days -- all fun. If those are not challenging enough, try Joint Effort. TNT and Chain Reaction. Run those, share pictures and we will all be impressed:smokin:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019

Wheeling since 1970

Sorry I quite trying to impress people before I was done being a teenager. Don't play them games.
And if If I miss spell something that's just to dam bad (I have had 2 brain surgers in the last 3 years. So I think I am doing pretty dam good).. Just trying to get some info before we head out there.

The trails at Sand Hollow are often hard to find and stay on, so I highly recommend that at least one member of your group has the CartoTracks mapping system.

Been noticing on some videos that rigs have flags and some don't.
And the ones that do they are all mounted in the rear.
Here in Michigan at a lot of the ORV parks we are required to run with a flag. But it has to be mounted on the front.
Why are they mounted in the rear?
Are they required to be mounted in the rear?
Are they required at all?

The State Park land requires flags. BLM and SITLA land does not.....and "all" of the trails are on BLM/SITLA. But to get onto that land from the State Park, you obviously cross a hundred yards of State Park land....so the flag is required.

HOWEVER....it is foolish to be out there without a flag, IMO. Too many irresponsible offroaders not paying attention on the dunes, and having a flag is one less bit of ammo for a lawyer should an accident occur....even if you aren't at fault.

My flag never gets removed on the buggy. On other vehicles, it is nearly always on there. The "guideline" is 8' above ground I believe.

Ok it looks like we are getting closer to stetting some dates.
It looks like we will be coming out there the beginning of may. Hopefully we will not be hitting and bad snow when cross the mountains ( coming from Michigan).
Not sure how long we will be there. We are thinking of taking 3 days to get there. That way we can stop off and see any scenic sights along the way.
Are there any scenic sights we should try and hit?
The wife has a Bachelor of science nontechnical (like looking for and at fossil) minor so I know she will want to try and see / find some. lol

Cartotracks offers the best detail and zoom options for Sand Hollow. I believe there is a "sand mountain package" that covers the 4 main areas.

Another option is to get a cheap GPS tablet, Gaia GPS App and the Dixie4x4/UPLA files

I’ve been using this setup for about a year works really well in Johnson valley my local deserts and sand hollow

The Dixie files almost has too many trails. Would of been much better if I had gone through them before the trip and deleted the ones I had no interest in running

Amazon product ASIN B07VDB92RK

Last edited:
Avenza Maps has a free app, that I have been using. The Trial mapping is spot on. some kind of mapping is a must this is a ORV park that means you can drive anywhere. It's not your typical tread lightly scenario where you are supposed stay on the trail, there are off shoots everywhere and unless you're in a competition buggy you can get into trouble real fast if you get off the main trail.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom