What hiem joints to run?

This site earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Zackgofast

Loves Light Bars
May 16, 2019
Wisconsin
New to the building world. I have a 1988 v8 ranger that I am swapping super duty axles in. I'm doing a dom 2" 1/4 wall tube 4 link. I'm trying to figure out what size hiems to run.

1/4" wall may be too thin for lowers....see what you can find for inserts, but lower heims are usually 1-1/4". 7/8" is common for uppers, since they don't see the impact that lowers do.

3/8" would be better, but it also depends on your rig weight AND how you wheel. I know guys who can bend 1/2" wall lowers, and others who survive fine on 1/4"

I would say at being 48"ish long to step up your size as well. If you already have the 2x.25 tube maybe could try to sleeve some 1.5x.120 inside them to save buying something else bigger. Might be hard to get to sleeve that long and need to take note of length of weld in bungs to compensate for on each end.

I run 2" .250 wall on all my suspension 4 links with 1.25 heims and 3/4" bolts no problem. Just try and make sure your link brackets are at least at the centerline of your axle higher if you can. Every link setup is different and to get the correct link separation you'll have to tweak with it. You may know or not that there are a lot of factors in acquiring a good working link setup they will greatly affect how the rig performs. Do it once and be done! Cheers!!!

I have 2" x .25 heated chromoly lowers and they are nice and straight still. My rears are mounted low on the axle tube with the idea of them hitting first than my driveshaft on my low pinion rear along with getting optimum separation on my old setup which isn't so relative now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom