Build 49 Willys buggy - bought not built but highly modified afterwards

This site earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A couple updates. A front dif inspection resulted in a small crack in 1 tooth in the front D70 ring gear. The crack looked like it had been there a while and I wonder if it was recent or from way back when I snapped a front axle shaft 2 years ago. Either way, I decided to swap it out. Not pic worthy. Local wheeling and a trip to South Dakota with no issues. Ran Captain Crunch on a wet and rainy day made it quite interesting. :)

2 posts up is a pic from AOAA on Balderdash last September. Drove it clean. Well not so much last weekend. Driver error resulted in a 1 and 3/4 roll on the rocks but thankfully landed in soft sand. One bar bent over the passenger area and lots of sheet metal damage but nothing as dramatic as @woody 's roll.

roll on Balderdash.jpg

roll on Balderdash1.jpg

And yes, I too was wearing a helmet. No injuries, just rode it out.
You can actually see the bend in the roof tube in the foreground if you look close. Roof panel is pretty fubarred.

wearing a helmet.jpg

I love that your photo is named "wearing a helmet.jpg" ;)

Safety gear FTW....I've seen a few seemingly gentle rolls result in some damage. As much as I suck at sheet metal/alum, at least it's a cheap-ish fix :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom