1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

building a rock crawler

Discussion in 'Guest Book' started by mtallen4, Aug 5, 2013.

1. mtallen4

mtallen4 Member

Aug 4, 2013
    I started to think about buildinf a rock crawler and I was wondering if I go with a tubed frame and a chevy 12 bolt in rear and a chevy dana 44 in front with a 4 link system on front and back with a dual shock absorbers on each side of the front and a dual shock absorber on both sides od back with it be good for rock crawling and mudding and I wiuld want to use a chevy 350 sbc with a 4 speed granny gear teanny with a 205 transfer case and ill put a snorkle kit on it with bucket seats...... any suggestions or ideas I would love to hear thanks for the help

2. raevenzero

raevenzero 4Runner Addict

Apr 5, 2013
    Male
    I run a yota...could you please explain why you want to run dual shocks? I usually only see that on show trucks for flash effect.

3. woody

woody eternal noobie Staff Member Media Partner

Oct 12, 2010
    Male
    ...unless it's for Ultra4 type crawling :)

4. mtallen4

mtallen4 Member

Aug 4, 2013
    well I used them in a truck before and they feel a lot better but do u suggest using just one shock on each side

5. woody

woody eternal noobie Staff Member Media Partner

Oct 12, 2010
    Male
    dual shocks are stiff, unless you are jumping it a lot or racing...for 95% of trail ride use, a single shock works fine and doesn't rattle your fillings...

6. mtallen4

mtallen4 Member

Aug 4, 2013
    thanks woody and sorry about the late replys I haven't had time to be on here in a while

7. Mace

Mace Addicted Member Staff Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Male
    I agree with woody. Single shock is fine. And honestly, with the quality and tunability of the available options now a days, unless you need a shock and a coil carrier, there really is no reason to go dual shocks at all.

Additionally, Depending on how you are planning on wheeling, a auto may be a better choice for transmission. I have a manual in my crawler and a auto in the soccer wagon. The wagon is much easier on the trail.