My new new

This site earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ProFab

Spotter Required
Dec 14, 2020
Springfield Missouri
I've been all over the place with buggy and jeeps. Been back and forth a million times just like everyone else. Anyway, the last car I built for myself was a jhf car. The goatbuilt kit. It was pretty not bad. It got sold before it was finished and I've been debating for a bit to either buy or build one. Now for Christmas, the wife was going to get me a Kalif Redden chassis. Lead time won't work if I wanna hit moab and sand hollow this spring. Maybe even a few werock events. This is just a basic doodle on my fab table of how I'd like it to come out. 60 front, steering 14b rear using super duty outers. 42" treps or reds. V6, auto and atlas. Wide enough to get 2 adults in and have a little shoulder room. We will see what happens here as I'm going to build it to comp with mainly but ride trails too.
20201223_175145.jpg

20201223_175157.jpg

Kalif has some great chassis, a few being built around here. LOVE the chalk/metal drawings, pretty high tech over my napkin skills :)

Why the D60/14b?? I had (well, still have...) the '05+ D60 and D70 laying here that I'd planned for my build....then a friend in TX told me "build this once and be done"....so those sit, and portals are happening. Not gonna argue that portals ARE more pricey, but not enough so in the grand scheme to give up that clearance.

I didn't realize the Kalif chassis were 50".

Kalif has some great chassis, a few being built around here. LOVE the chalk/metal drawings, pretty high tech over my napkin skills :)

Why the D60/14b?? I had (well, still have...) the '05+ D60 and D70 laying here that I'd planned for my build....then a friend in TX told me "build this once and be done"....so those sit, and portals are happening. Not gonna argue that portals ARE more pricey, but not enough so in the grand scheme to give up that clearance.

I didn't realize the Kalif chassis were 50".
I ended up finding a kalif chassis. I'm going to head to Utah this coming week.

Doing the straight axles because I have them and it's not another huge expense. I have a ton of parts for them already from buggies past. I'd love to do portals on something one day though. I'm secure enough to also say I'm too poor to build a set. 20k is pretty steep.

I ended up finding a kalif chassis. I'm going to head to Utah this coming week.

Doing the straight axles because I have them and it's not another huge expense. I have a ton of parts for them already from buggies past. I'd love to do portals on something one day though. I'm secure enough to also say I'm too poor to build a set. 20k is pretty steep.
i feel ya i have same kinda plan new buggy smaller chassis 48-50-48 sd60 front and 14/sd60 rear down the road if a deal comes up on portals or 9s ill upgrade

and now the fun part starts :) (as I killed most of my weekend on t-case shifters...)
Yep, I spent the weekend replacing fatigued link bolts and a faulty shifter cable. (actually the link bolt subject is thread worthy - I just need to organize pics and thoughts)
Profab, looking forward to what you do with the chassis.

You've heard those old saying "happier than a pig in shit"? No? Well from what I gather it means they are just about as excited as I am to get some parts. All my link tabs, 3 link mount and pan hard mount showed up. Too bad I have to go to New Mexico for work this week. 👎👎

20210114_145925.jpg

Ditching the 1 ton ton idea. Even though I have a ton of parts for them.... Trail gear and jegs was having what seemed to me a good deal on 9" housing. So both those. Another set if SD knuckles and C's are on their way. Prps, joints and the new Profenders are at the house waiting for me now.

So here's the rundown. 6.00 gear with a th350. May switch to a 700r4 first gear though and get a slightly higher gear. 5.0 atlas. Still trying to decide on the motor. 3.9 or 3.5. I talked to Jake last week at Marked. They are a couple months out yet. So is Advance. So no harm there. I'm still a month out from going home myself. Got a slick fuel cell and mount from Richard Hulse a couple weeks back. Scott Trimarco has a badass steering pump and rear steer kit that will be at the house when I get home. If you haven't looked into one of his pumps, definitely worth it. This will be my second one.

Found a smoking deal on a 1.75 die for my bender. Now I can finish the chassis out and start getting everything somewhat put together.

Still plugging away. Been working on a few other cars here lately and haven't had the time to mess with mine. See that damn rust!? Over that crap already. Link material will be here this week as well. As soon as my knuckles and C's get here, I'll get the axles cut and have it a roller. Without tires.....

20210413_152017.jpg

Still tryna plug away. Been something everyday around here lately. Wife's transmission died, moving to a new shop, and its been crappy weather, haven't done much but I was up pretty early this morning doing what I could and not wake everyone else up. Gonna grab my tig here in just a bit and get busy on the back side.

20210503_040143.jpg

20210503_051841.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom