Build 1963 International Scout 80

This site earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Twin stick or use a stick 60 series shifter? The scout came with a twin stick. I’m leaning on the twin just so the truck still “looks” reasonably stock.

I've been working on shoehorning a 2004 4.3 in my 62 scout 80. It looks like I have the placement about right, and I'll have to do some trimming on the front radiator core support (body mount) to clear the front pulley. I was hoping not to trim the firewall much, but It is what it is. The Drivers side Iron exhaust manifold is very close to the firewall. The Passenger side is fine. At this point I think I have to take my radiator and move it in front of the support and trim the passenger side of the core support to give enough airflow. I'm using a Jeep steering box so the Drivers side frame horn mount prevents me from going very far on that side.
Comments?

thumbnail.jpg
thumbnail (2).jpg
thumbnail (3).jpg
thumbnail (4).jpg

What radiator are you using? Possible to find something that fits better and offers more clearance?

Or, a low-profile water pump change? I believe there were long-nose and short-nose options...might help with an added inch.

At this time, the radiator is open. I'll just get the general specifications and go from there. I was hoping to use a stock radiator, but at this point that's a non starter. Easy enough to move things around to fit.

It looks like I will have to use an electric fan though. I'm not overly pleased with that, but it is what it is. From what I have read, the short water pump is a PITA with a serpentine belt..

price wise, an aftermarket radiator will likely be cheaper, even with mounting....and electric fans will be more than adequate with that motor.

So the front axle pumpkin is dangerously close to the oil pan. I could cut and trim the aluminum pan, or swap ti a mini truck front axle. I'm leaning towards the mini axle. Just gotta find one..

Looks like mini axle is a resounding success. And the 78 series radius arms are about perfect!!
20180804_153748.jpg
20180804_153823.jpg
t!!

Just found your build and really enjoy seeing the process. I've got a Scout 800 and a donor 4.3 Vortec that I'll be installing soon so I'm happy to avoid any troubles you're going through :)

Could you post any closer photos of the motor mounts, or talk about any of the process you went through to install those, and maybe post which ones you went with? Thanks!

The local hot rod shop has a mockup AC unit that they ley me borrow. Well, no way in hell will it fit lol. The dash is a flat piece of metal. No room at all to accommodate thecondenser. .I'm going to try a vintage ac unit from a Thunderbird next :)
20190319_191145.jpg
20190319_191149.jpg

Heck yes I do. T bird thing got me thinking and perusing the interwebs. Found a interesting heater/ac unit.

Mounts wherever I want (like under a seat) and I can run the heat/ac controls in the center console. If I have The vents blow from the center console and down by the Drivers and passengers feet it should work okay. It won't be as good as blasting in your face, but hopefully it'll take the edge off.

Only real bummer is the loss of the windshield defrosters. I may just use the AC only as under seat and find a stock scout heater to retain the defroster vents..

Just found your build and really enjoy seeing the process. I've got a Scout 800 and a donor 4.3 Vortec that I'll be installing soon so I'm happy to avoid any troubles you're going through :)

Could you post any closer photos of the motor mounts, or talk about any of the process you went through to install those, and maybe post which ones you went with? Thanks!

Pete,
I went with the cheap universal motor mounts from AA. They are not the greatest things in the world and will take some added supports to make me happy. But they were inexpensive and easy.

These.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom