Build Thread Building An Ultimate Family/Trail Buggy

Lil Rich

Addicted Member
Media Partner
Nov 26, 2016
Sand Hollow
....and you know, some direct-to-(surface)rust paint might be a good idea :) Believe I have some at the shop already....
Yeah, I planned on it. It is nice to not build a go fast car. I can paint it and not have to deal with a scrubbing after every time I go out.

Lil Rich

Addicted Member
Media Partner
Nov 26, 2016
Sand Hollow
Putting together a punch list of items for the build, just being vague but if you have anything to add, please feel free to contribute:
Pull all panels,
Measure for Back Kids shades, build templates, bring to Winter 4x4
Pick Up Motor, Place on Engine plate, finish cleaning, bolt on Oil Pan, Pull and replace flexplate,
Build templates for Body Panels, Rear Tool Box
Take stickers of current Panels
Drill Hole in Battery Shut Off Handle
Change bottom links to proper side.
Change out Heims
Send out rear Upper Links
Bolt in Motor, Tranny, Tcase (Figure out Tcase mount)
Measure for Driveshafts
Build Exhaust System
Bolt in Radiator
Install Plumbing, Brakelines, Tranny Lines, Fuel Lines, Coolant Lines
Build Dash
Install Wiring Harness, Gauges, wiring
Front Winch
Install Gears, lockers, axle shafts.
Install Lighting system (Headlights, Rock Lights, Rear Light)
Install Seats, harnesses, head pads
Size rear compartment for larger back seat.

Lil Rich

Addicted Member
Media Partner
Nov 26, 2016
Sand Hollow
So today @allterrainmedia Joey and I did some welding on the front end, dropped the skid plate, took off all the panels, prepped for drivetrain install, installed new oil pan/pick up, took off all unnecessary accessory mounts, cut down some long bolts, etc. tomorrow the goal is to stab the drivetrain and drink some beer

Lil Rich

Addicted Member
Media Partner
Nov 26, 2016
Sand Hollow
Luckily Eric from Armstrong Radiator is going to help us get the Rad back on track.

Need to fix a fin or two and move the filler neck. With building a real pressure test, I only can rely on one local company to get me back into working order and on the trail, if you are local to St. George, Ut and need Radiator work... Armstrong Radiator can get you down the road/trail.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

JoeyATM

Addicted Member
Sep 5, 2016
Cedar City, Utah
So today @allterrainmedia Joey and I did some welding on the front end, dropped the skid plate, took off all the panels, prepped for drivetrain install, installed new oil pan/pick up, took off all unnecessary accessory mounts, cut down some long bolts, etc. tomorrow the goal is to stab the drivetrain and drink some beer
Thanks for letting me help out, it's awesome to be there working on these rigs and being able to pick your brains on certain things. I look forward to seeing both this and Woody's done.

Lil Rich

Addicted Member
Media Partner
Nov 26, 2016
Sand Hollow
Well, I have the motor just where it needs to be, but I have found that tuning back and forth to town to get bolts is getting exhausting...

There is an 1/8" between the races and seat bar, 3/16" between skid plate and oil pan, 3/8" between tcase and everything else.

image.jpeg

Mace

Addicted Member
Staff member
Oct 20, 2010
Las Vegas
Looks great in person. Can't wait to see it on the trail!

Lil Rich

Addicted Member
Media Partner
Nov 26, 2016
Sand Hollow
Just a quick update on the dash. Fitting everything is proving to be complicated but expected. 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lbs bag. Here is the layout of the center console, which this buggy didn't have before. I wanted the shifter to be closer to the steering wheel. To achieve this, I had to built a console to house the shifter, rearrange the t case shifters, and remount the computer. Turns out everything fits nice and tight, but comfortable.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

OldRocDoc

Dec 26, 2016
I have found that tuning back and forth to town to get bolts is getting exhausting.
What? Woody's shop does not have a complete line of every fastener made?

Build looks great -- should be a fun and very capable rig.

woody

eternal noobie
Staff member
Oct 12, 2010
Toquerville UT
What? Woody's shop does not have a complete line of every fastener made?
Right? Apparently the hundreds of pieces of cleaned and CAD plated OEM Toyota hardware I've had done over the years isn't good enough ;) (storage drawers for those ordered yesterday)

Dirty36

Nov 29, 2016
Cedar City Utah
So still on the list to buy is a Left Hand and Right Hand 1.25" Heim, Cutting Brakes, minor fittings, Brake Lines, and some aluminum. Might as well build a center column and dash while I am piecing it all together. Besides that, I think I may have already purchased the usually un-thought of $5,000 of small stuff that no one thinks of.
Do you still need a left and right hand 1.25 heim? I have them if so

Dirty36

Nov 29, 2016
Cedar City Utah
Looking very good. We can compare clearance sometime Clarance. And discuss packing 10lbs of shit in a 5lb sack. Turns out I've traveled that road