Build Building An Ultimate Family/Trail Buggy

This site earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lil Rich

Spotter Required
Media Partner
Nov 26, 2016
Sand Hollow
15235535_702024289955056_6971056326403723980_o.jpg

So a prelude or sorts:
I have always been a big fan of Twisted Customs' vehicles. Having bee in the sport of Rock Crawling since it's inception (Competition Wise), I have seen build trends/builders come and go. The simplicity of rigs like what Twisted Customs, Jesse Haines, and Jimmy's 4x4 builds; on top of the way they flat out work make them great candidates for long term success. While these are some of the best working rigs on the planet, they also happen to be some of the most affordable to get into. Still, building or buying a buggy isn't cheap by any measure. Regardless, it is all worth every penny by being able to watch my kids grow up in the same sport that I grew up in.

15230723_702024273288391_6417516869119840360_n.jpg

Previously I owned one of Jesse Haines Willy's Buggies. It flat out works and is often thought of as a "sleeper". Many times I was told by other drivers that I "Should" follow them because they can help me find the lines and recover me if I get stuck. I find this funny because even though I have been in the sport since 1997, I took a 3 year break and moved to Alaska. In that time, many new faces entered our sport and I was only remembered by those that were there in the beginning. Half way through the trail, those same drivers would have me jump in front of them on the trail. The bummer part about Jesse's Willy's Buggy is that it was a 2 seater. I reluctantly hacked it into a 4 seater so that my kids could go with. But it was small and tight, and my kids are getting bigger.

15235778_702024269955058_4097482949609836428_o.jpg

Running around on Facebook, Jesse sent me a link to a chassis that was for sale built by James Treacy. James builds car very similar to Twisted Customs, many parts are interchangeable for ease. James built this particular vehicle for running around in the Pacific North West, between trees, slick rock, and the occasional comp. It has 3 seats but has very little room to squeeze a super small bench in. With some minor adjustments, I could get the whole family out wheeling a little more comfortable.

15250848_702024226621729_2981999174823623486_o.jpg

Furthermore, the Willy's had 37's and some drivetrain limitations (22RE, Manual Trans, Dana300) and while that worked REALLY WELL, I was ready to push the envelope of what Hardcore Trail Riding is for me. I felt I needed 40's, rear steer, and a little more power. The new James Treacy (JT) Chassis was set up perfect for this change.

15170905_702024339955051_2697818744957696336_n.jpg

The specs on the original JT buggy were 5.3, TH350, Atlas II, 40" tires, rear steer, 106" wheelbase, and 78" wide for dodging the trees of the PNW. With the subtle changes in mind and the fact that we don't have trees to miss, we will keep the drivetrain, and increase in other areas... 42" Maxxis Treps on 17" Raceline Beadlocks, 109" wheelbase, and roughly 84-86" wide (The width and length are also to help with compesating for the 42's). These sizes will bode well for the southwest wheeling that Sand Hollow, AZ Trails, and pushing into a more difficult realm of trail capability.

Jesse's Original Willy's Buggy was great for tight, technical, tough trails. I found that with a lot of patience, I could fit that little car into place most couldn't take more "Capable" buggies. The rig just flat out works and many that went on trails rides with us were amazed at how well it would do. In fact, Jesse and I would laugh at it's capabilities and how funny that people looked at it as just a little, old, beat up Jeep.
15235501_702024223288396_8058623906180623285_o.jpg

But the simple fact is, when I tried pushing the limits at Sand Hollow, I was often denied due to the shorter wheelbase and width, as well as the lack of power. The rig is set up perfect for what Sand Hollow currently offers for trails... But I want to build and drive even more difficult terrain, Plus have a little room for my growing family.
15230663_702024249955060_8018010008330897676_n.jpg

You can see here, that there is just simply no room for their legs with the addition of a small soft side ice chest. The rig would have worked for maybe a year or two more, but with this chassis becoming available, it just made sense to make the upgrade now.

So I started with the low hanging fruit, I already had the wheels and tires, just not mounted yet. I hate spending money I don't have to so I greased up the inner bead of the tire, slid the tire over the wheel, and had the kids starts putting bolts into the beadlock.

My son claims that I am building him a Transformer and that it is his rig, lol. So he has told me he wants to help his transformer come to life by building it with me. So Cool! He also picked the colors of Optimus Prime which means the rig will be Red, Silver, and Blue. He placed all the bolts in the wheel and headed to bed, I finished up torquing them while watching Trump win the election.

In the last picture you can see the Transmission and Tcase. I got the TH350 Trans from Novak Conversions. It is a great looking trans with attention to detail. Came with a 2300 Converter, dipstick, and everything ready to go. We went with a TH350 because of the size, the oil pan and valve body shifted to the passenger side, and the fact that this chassis was built to house one. Changing to a TH400, or any other trans for that matter, would be cause for major changes that I didn't want to deal with.

The Tcase is an Atlas II which is the only real option in my opinion. I have run several different cases in the past and the Atlas is always one part that I never have to worry about. Plus Vic at Advance Adapters and I go WAY back and I like buying from people I have relationships with.

14095960_1403975159619958_4473377433651675604_n.jpg

15000652_1487565611260912_4492779559778934982_o.jpg

.Low hanging fruit is also cleaning up the motor and changing out the intakes. I bought a 5.3 from Dixie Salvage for $600 that has 90,000 miles and all of the accessories. Came with Starter, Alternator, Intake, Exhaust Manifolds that included enough exhaust to include the O2 Sensors, etc.

image.jpg

When we pulled the Intake to change it from the Truck to the Car, it was pretty dirty underneath. Here I have my helper cleaning his Transformers heart. Take care of it, and it will take care of you.

With this change, the injectors are too short by 3/4". I ordered "Top Hats" which is a pretty common mod that will allow the injectors to be the same stock injectors and retain the length needed to connect the fuel rail to the manifold. The top hats only cost $35 vs. the $400+ for new injectors. Reading online, a lot of guys have run these with widespread success.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Great motor choice IMO...plentiful and inexpensive, and easy to mod for some minor gains in HP and torque - was my choice if I hadn't picked up the rig I did.

I'm curious how those "top hats" work...seems they would space the injector further out?

Good to see that boy earning his keep :p

Looks real good Rich. Can't believe you've already got rock rash on those skins from the garage. That's talent.
That steering angle- holy cow!

Last edited:
Gonna need warp speed for sure! Still waiting on a few parts and pieces to show up. Seats, gears, some links, axles, etc.

Also need to find a machine shop to machine out the unit bearings to 1.5"

So still on the list to buy is a Left Hand and Right Hand 1.25" Heim, Cutting Brakes, minor fittings, Brake Lines, and some aluminum. Might as well build a center column and dash while I am piecing it all together. Besides that, I think I may have already purchased the usually un-thought of $5,000 of small stuff that no one thinks of.

So when it came to setting up the Steering, I found that a lot of people, including myself do not understand how much time it takes to set it up correctly. For this build, we went a different direction than most and had some custom parts built to achieve a better overall system. The Ram is is a custom sized 2.75 cylinder to create more capacity and therefore, the ability for more strength when turning. The larger ram meant that packaging would be more difficult.

The other thing that we wanted to focus on was more clearance. Running a single ended ram would allow for the Tie Rod itself to be the limiting factor in ground clearance. A double ended ram takes a rather large truss system to support it and to set up proper steering and ackermen, would take mounting the ram in line with the high steer arms. The width of the ram/truss/clamps protrude further out than a 1.5" Aluminum Tie Rod.

image (1).jpeg

Looking at the packaging of the Ram and Tie Rod, you can see that to achieve the 48* of steering that we did took a little effort to clearance the High Steer Arm. This was important to ensure we got full steering on an 8" ram.

Looking at a Single Ended Ram, One of the downsides is that the force of the ram is stronger turning one direction than the other direction. To help alleviate this, many rams have a different steering wheel adjustment from one side to the other. Essentially it takes more turns of the steering wheel in one direction to achieve the same radius. An example would be that the Ram takes 1.5 revolutions of the steering wheel to achieve full lock as it extends out, and 2 revs to achieve full lock going in the opposite direction as it compresses in. This difference makes it difficult to operate at high speeds, but most don't actually notice it because in a Full Hydrolic Steering set-up, the fluid is constantly bypassing the orbital in small amounts causing the steering wheel to slightly turn. For these reasons and the fact that this car is not built for high speed, we decided to go with a Single Ended Ram vs the Double.

During Compression is when the strength is lost. However increasing bore size of the cylinder while keeping the shaft size the same 1.25" will help increase strength overall but especially important during compression. The difference in strength between a 2.5" ram and a 2.75" ram is close to 41%.

image.jpeg

Hey @woody , Are you going to be home on the 27th? I would like to put together a small work party to nail out some of the rat killing right off the bat.

Stuff like grabbing the motor, pulling all the panels, cleaning the housings (Wire Wheel), etc

Hey @woody , Are you going to be home on the 27th? I would like to put together a small work party to nail out some of the rat killing right off the bat.

Stuff like grabbing the motor, pulling all the panels, cleaning the housings (Wire Wheel), etc
We are in Vegas the night of the 27th, but no reason the shop can't be available :) Guessing we'll head down there mid-late afternoon...

....and you know, some direct-to-(surface)rust paint might be a good idea :) Believe I have some at the shop already....
Yeah, I planned on it. It is nice to not build a go fast car. I can paint it and not have to deal with a scrubbing after every time I go out.

Putting together a punch list of items for the build, just being vague but if you have anything to add, please feel free to contribute:
Pull all panels,
Measure for Back Kids shades, build templates, bring to Winter 4x4
Pick Up Motor, Place on Engine plate, finish cleaning, bolt on Oil Pan, Pull and replace flexplate,
Build templates for Body Panels, Rear Tool Box
Take stickers of current Panels
Drill Hole in Battery Shut Off Handle
Change bottom links to proper side.
Change out Heims
Send out rear Upper Links
Bolt in Motor, Tranny, Tcase (Figure out Tcase mount)
Measure for Driveshafts
Build Exhaust System
Bolt in Radiator
Install Plumbing, Brakelines, Tranny Lines, Fuel Lines, Coolant Lines
Build Dash
Install Wiring Harness, Gauges, wiring
Front Winch
Install Gears, lockers, axle shafts.
Install Lighting system (Headlights, Rock Lights, Rear Light)
Install Seats, harnesses, head pads
Size rear compartment for larger back seat.

So today @allterrainmedia Joey and I did some welding on the front end, dropped the skid plate, took off all the panels, prepped for drivetrain install, installed new oil pan/pick up, took off all unnecessary accessory mounts, cut down some long bolts, etc. tomorrow the goal is to stab the drivetrain and drink some beer

Luckily Eric from Armstrong Radiator is going to help us get the Rad back on track.

Need to fix a fin or two and move the filler neck. With building a real pressure test, I only can rely on one local company to get me back into working order and on the trail, if you are local to St. George, Ut and need Radiator work... Armstrong Radiator can get you down the road/trail.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom