Build JHF Trail Chassis

This site earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A few more tweaks....'

Still fighting the air intake noise....added a resonator (minimal change), enclosed the filter cover and pulling air thru the floor pan (minimal change) added more foam to the filter cover (helped some), and wrapped the aluminum tube with insulation. It's annoying...considering running a Donaldson-type filter ($100) from Volant to see what that does, and a better/custom airbox with that.

I need to get the computer positive on a constant hot line, rather than switched with the master cutoff....prevent the computer from having to relearn every time I turn off the master.

Exhaust turndown is ordered and will be on shortly.

Nitrogen is currently 70 front and 55 rear, with ~3.75-4" of shock showing. Better for trails and normal riding....testing the pressure tomorrow.

Waiting on some pics from the last couple days, was out mapping with Jake (CartoTracks), Glen/Kimberly Plake, Steve Marquardt and Colt (#bleepincolt)....ran Chain Reaction, Smurfette and The Fallen on Wednesday and pinned a few named obstacles for the map (like Kitty's Sandbox), then ran 777's and War Machine on Thursday. Wet weather make War Machine more of a 12/13 rating, instead of the 11 it should be. Finally getting a "bit" more comfortable with the capabilities and learning what to do and when.

Jesse blew his motor in Supercrawl at Trail Hero on Thursday and ran his newly finished JHF Trail during Trail Breaker....he was very impressed with how balanced his car was and how it performed at that level.

My WARN 9.0RC got a workout at Trail Hero....6-7 rollover recoveries during SuperCrawl and I winched all 11 competitors on Stage1 during Trail Breaker....Kalif won again (badass!) and named it "Slip and Slide"...with good reason :D

Had a handful of people comment on my 50' of 5/16" JM Rigging line on the winch....given the car weighs 3200ish pounds (estimate) I see no issue with a break strength of 14,850# and being able to run a full 50', while greatly reducing the need to respool mid-recovery should it overload on one side of the drum. I carry a 40' JM Rigging extension if needed. :)

Here is a video on, I think the second or third day out of the shop, showing Woody trying to gain admission to the Boom Boom Room;)
It gives a good look at the buggy and how well it performs (no comment on the tires). Cool to see the rear drive shaft spinning so fast before reduction by the third-member and the portals.

Waiting on some pics from the last couple days, was out mapping with Jake (CartoTracks), Glen/Kimberly Plake, Steve Marquardt and Colt (#bleepincolt)....ran Chain Reaction, Smurfette and The Fallen on Wednesday and pinned a few named obstacles for the map (like Kitty's Sandbox), then ran 777's and War Machine on Thursday. Wet weather make War Machine more of a 12/13 rating, instead of the 11 it should be. Finally getting a "bit" more comfortable with the capabilities and learning what to do and when

Do you know what is the most up to date nevigation map to use for Sand Hollow ?

And great build keep the pictures coming !!!!!!

CartoTracks is still the best option....ALL the trails were on their latest update just before Trail Hero, including the 11-15 buggy trails (well, most of them...)

$20/yr is well worth it.

Now that I'm looking, the buggythings maps might be TH only....hhmmm

CartoTracks is still the best option....ALL the trails were on their latest update just before Trail Hero, including the 11-15 buggy trails (well, most of them...)

$20/yr is well worth it.

Now that I'm looking, the buggythings maps might be TH only....hhmmm

Yup, buggy map *was* an exclusive for Trail Hero Buggy Pass purchasers only. However, we may turn that map "public" soon.

IMG_4137.JPG
I mighta gotten a cool shot of his buggy..... ;)

In action today, running optional lines around TNT

First pic is an optional chute....I didn't clear it....SO close to the line, but it just didn't quite bite. Suspect my longer wheelbase didn't help. Also dropping tire pressure next time to 6psi front and rear (have to remember that water in the front doesn't compress, so less air pressure is ok)...

According to the internets, air is about 20,000x more compressible than water....so running identical pressures front/rear is likely a good bet when you have water in the front tires.

Will likely take a groover to the Pats to open up the centers. A few comp guys did that and noted a significant improvement, the stock tread is just too tight.

CB3C1333-.jpg

Next 3 are on the ClusterFawk obstacle. Cleared the first BIG climb but struggled 3-4x on this second mid section....3x into the crack with a smokescreen and I finally surrendered.

Generated enough smoke that another wheeler assumed FIRE, and called the fire dept. Oops :)

IMG_2663.jpg

IMG_2665.jpg

IMG_2668.jpg

Last edited:
I was curious as to why ya chose a 700r4 over say a th350. Any reasons or just preference?

The BIG reason is, I already had it....built this transmission about 15 years ago and ran it in my FJ40. ALL the good stuff went into it (K case, finned tail, 5 pinion planetaries, manual valve body, etc), and I didn't even change the stock HD torque converter prior to installing...just a fresh pan/gasket. The super-short Sunray adapter helps keep the length issues away, and fitment with the D300 and my engine placement is perfect. It has worked flawlessly thus far....even running the same cooler/fan.

I've had a ton of other buggy guys comment on how nice overdrive can be between sections of the trail, versus the need to shift into high range.

Pats got their groove on today...

View attachment 15752

Did an exhaust turndown last week...and wrapped the muffler. Both helped significantly with sound levels.

View attachment 15753View attachment 15754
I watch a friend with pats at JV last November and ended up with a set of 38's only by chance after I finished my FJ80 front axle. After what I saw and running mine one time I thought they needed to be opened up also. So I tried to grove my PAT's with an amazon purchase has not worked out and I gave up for now as I need a better tool.

In action today, running optional lines around TNT

First pic is an optional chute....I didn't clear it....SO close to the line, but it just didn't quite bite. Suspect my longer wheelbase didn't help. Also dropping tire pressure next time to 6psi front and rear (have to remember that water in the front doesn't compress, so less air pressure is ok)...

According to the internets, air is about 20,000x more compressible than water....so running identical pressures front/rear is likely a good bet when you have water in the front tires.

Will likely take a groover to the Pats to open up the centers. A few comp guys did that and noted a significant improvement, the stock tread is just too tight.

View attachment 15748

Next 3 are on the ClusterFawk obstacle. Cleared the first BIG climb but struggled 3-4x on this second mid section....3x into the crack with a smokescreen and I finally surrendered.

Generated enough smoke that another wheeler assumed FIRE, and called the fire dept. Oops :)

View attachment 15749

View attachment 15750

View attachment 15751
Are you still running a PCV or have a bypass?

Dash update...well, the top panel anyways....

Cleaned up the gauges and some other stuff....relocating the fuses a bit drivers-side helped with space underneath for wiring....and the 3 original holes for the gauges were a FAIL since there was no room behind for the gauges to exist....removed the cig plug and the Anderson plugs and left just the USB/Voltage gauge.

Minor stuff....tomorrow will be the facing panel, which is much easier. Still deciding on the switch panel I purchased (6 switch) or just simple rockers...odds are, since there will be one light bar and one set of rock lights, it'll end up with rockers....but who knows...

20211109_174609.jpg

You have to machine them...they don't fit otherwise ;) Had mine done last week at Sand Hollow Offroad in their lathe.
Do you have any more pics or info on the ram mounting? what needed to be machined etc? Interested in this style mounting, but all I can find are just pics of either empty mounts, or fuliy installed pics. Is there more too it than, ram goes in a cup? seems like it, if something had to be machined. Thanks.

Do you have any more pics or info on the ram mounting? what needed to be machined etc? Interested in this style mounting, but all I can find are just pics of either empty mounts, or fuliy installed pics. Is there more too it than, ram goes in a cup? seems like it, if something had to be machined. Thanks.
It's really that simple...Jesse claims he does his "machining" with a hand grinder. I'm not that skilled, so the lathe kept them actually round and ensured I didn't take WAY too much off.

It's really that simple...Jesse claims he does his "machining" with a hand grinder. I'm not that skilled, so the lathe kept them actually round and ensured I didn't take WAY too much off.
Ah, so its less machining to a specific tolerance or size and more making the ram and the cup fit together well. Thanks for the info. Time to order some tube and give it a shot.

So, this happened... First set of 42" Milestar Patagonia MT02s ready for testing....fresh off a SEMA build. Testing commences this afternoon 😎

Last pic was 7psi with no water in front....I've already filled them to 60%ish and have bumped the fronts to 9psi and the rears to 8psi.

Details:
Height at 7psi loaded: ~40"
Height unloaded: 41.66"
Circumference: 130.75"

20211121_182501.jpg

20211121_192037.jpg

20211121_203249.jpg

20211121_203700.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good. For new reference, what's the wheel backspace and overall width now?
top bulge is 85" and backspacing on the wheels is 5"

There is just over an inch of "space" in the rear at full lock between the tire and the upper link.

First day testing.... SUPER impressed. WestDesertWheeler was out for video, will post the link when it hits.

Side note: I was the "expert" for the new Milestar Patagonia MT02....my input on the tread compound, carcass and more was part of what brought this new design to fruition.

Messages tonight...
Martin: "Well its your compound, hopefully it begins to work better!"
Andrew: "Hope you didn't **** up that compound Woody! 🤣"

No pressure at all...lol

Ran 9psi front (water to spindle top) and 8psi rear. This new design was developed to work at higher pressures for better trail handling. They crawled lines that I've never crawled with the 40" blacks...size does effect that too, so the coming weeks will have me being VERY critical (and likely pushing to destroy at least one tire)

I fully expected to immediately wish for the softer black labels, but do not see that being necessary. At least, not yet...haha

Pic of driver front at 9psi.

20211122_161013.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom