Build JHF Trail Chassis

This site earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I picked up an element extinguisher for the in cab setup. Plan is here unless something else fits the better before I finish.

20210916_181904.jpg

I just saw the element extinguisher last month for the first time. I like it...........
I have 3 large extinguishers on my buggy and they take up a lot of room. But like Woody said, the rig is expensive. One passenger side on the back, one driver side on the back and one between the seats. I figure only one on the back does not good if it's against the ground and no one can reach it.

Caster and toe...

PXL_20210919_164108507.jpg

Rear caster is per the pic above....when dropped off the jack stand, it was just at 2 degrees. According to the internets, that's where you want the rear. Front is closer to 5 degrees.

Set the toe today as well....I'm informed that ensuring the ram is centered and toe is set correctly is critical to max CV life and to not oversteer them. The measurement from the ram mounting plates to the end of the ram shaft was 5-1/16" on each side. The shaft end to the rotor was 21-5/16 (about) and the toe was 67-3/4 at the rear of the rotor and 67-5/8 at the front for both axles. Not a lot out there to work with on those measurements, so I thought I'd cover what mine are.

Rear view mirror...it's one of my odd pet peeves on the trail...

PXL_20210919_203129252.jpg

Tweaks needed:

1> run the trans breather somewhere....

2> shocks show about 1.5" rear and 1.75" front...need to add a bit if nitrogen to set at 3"ish

3> knee pad for drivers side (she warm...)

4> throttle hold spring (otherwise it flops completely...lol) (ZIP TIE for the win!)

5> adjust tools/recovery

6> air filter box/muffler

7> air intake tube resonator

8> cooler mount

9> engine skid plate

10> passenger foot rest

Last edited:
So, loving it...lots to learn since it's my first "real" buggy...

First, a wheelstand pic from the exit climb on Broken Chain...no water, tire pressure too high (9/8). Finally made it, but water and less pressure will make easy in the future. BTW: even at that angle, it felt SUPER stable....very happy with the balance of the car and how easy it is to control. I ran Nasty Crack earlier in the week and was SURE I was gonna come out on my side at the exit.....rig simply stuck and brought itself back down. Geometry seems spot on.

IMG_20210925_162122.jpg

Next, an optional side crack on lower Chain Reaction....2nd try was no issue, first required recovery. #crackhappens

FB_IMG_1632778045712.jpg

Last edited:
Added the Element50 to the drivers side...also added a knee cushion/insulator 😎

PXL_20210927_212426291.jpg

In cabin air intakes are fn NOISY...mocked this up today...seems to make a big difference...

PXL_20210927_212439615.jpg

How do you like the Milestar tires?
I ran the 40" black labels for two+ years on my FToy prior to this set...I have had zero issues with them. Traction is less than Reds, but comparable to Treps. They simply take a bit longer to "bite" than the Reds, and require a bit of experimenting with pressure (all tires really do...). They are better in sand. I'll be interested to see how they perform long term now that I actually have horsepower :) Filled the fronts 60% with water yesterday, so this week will be whole new ball game.

I do testing for Milestar, so take that for what it's worth. I will have the first set of 42's :)

Aaron Coleman/Logan Backus are running them on the Milestar buggy for Supercrawl and WE Rock. They are a top 3 team. That says something.

Last edited:
Really love how this turned out. Nice job. But I gotta say, I'm still more jelly of your local terrain (vs here) than your car. :)
It's really hard to beat the wheeling here....so many crazy lines, and so many that are rear-steer required. Sand Hollow is mecca...and there is a huge variety in terrain outside SH too ;)

I know. Been there twice and hoping to spend 2-3 weeks there next April. Maybe some locals might wheel with me. :) I hope for rear steer at some point but it won't happen in the next year. (unless the wife wins the lottery)

Aaron Coleman/Logan Backus are running them on the Milestar buggy for Supercrawl and WE Rock. They are a top 3 team. That says something.
At least that Logan likes that skinny pedal attached to a HEALTHY motor and Aaron encourages it anyways!! 🤣🤣🤣

JK, they look to work pretty well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom