Build Thread JHF Trail Chassis

knapp870

Loves Light Bars
Oct 23, 2020
Lincoln NE
WMS is 70 (pretty standard for a trail rig). I know a few locals that run narrower for comps, then add spacers for the trail.

I'm a Toyota guy....so the rear shaft will be 100% Toyota joints. The front will need a 1350 at the yoke, then Toyota from the carrier to the case. JE Reel is building with OEM Toyota supplier parts, and it's hard to beat the strength and longevity of their stuff. I believe the front driveshaft in my 1996 80-series is stock, with only 299,000 mall crawling miles on it :p (the rear has taken a dent or three, and runs a JE Reel with Toy joints now)
IMO the strength and angle you can get out of toyota joints (oem toyota/lexus spiders is what I use) is unparalleled.

woody

eternal noobie
Oct 12, 2010
Toquerville UT
v6 or 4 cylinder thirds?
4cyl. Once you change out the carrier to a spool or ARB, the gains of the Toyota V6 3rd are marginal...especially with the load reduction of the portals. My FToy ran 4cyl 3rds and ARB's front and rear...with 40" Milestar Blacks....I junked one rear r/p a year, wheeling more than most wheelers do in a lifetime.

knapp870

Loves Light Bars
Oct 23, 2020
Lincoln NE
4cyl. Once you change out the carrier to a spool or ARB, the gains of the Toyota V6 3rd are marginal...especially with the load reduction of the portals. My FToy ran 4cyl 3rds and ARB's front and rear...with 40" Milestar Blacks....I junked one rear r/p a year, wheeling more than most wheelers do in a lifetime.
What are your thoughts on stock carriers welded/lunchbox lockers? Just curious after reading Kalifs post on Facebook

Broski

Spotter Required
Sweet so basically I don't need to worry about my 3rds on 39s they should last a life time. 😜

woody

eternal noobie
Oct 12, 2010
Toquerville UT
What are your thoughts on stock carriers welded/lunchbox lockers? Just curious after reading Kalifs post on Facebook
Didn't see his post on it....FB sucks for actually finding/tracking content anymore.

If you are on a budget, both can work fine. I've run a couple different lunchbox brands in the past, and never had an issue....but the center pin has to move a fair amount before the locker engages, and that bit of unpredictability isn't desirable for highly technical wheeling since you cannot be SURE of when both tires will pull.

I ran a welded rear diff on my FJ40 for years. First attempt failed quickly, 2nd time lasted for...mmm....7 years? 37's and 39's....done right, they work fine. Mine was always a suspected weak point since I wasn't positive it would hold up, and I was unsure how the welding process had hurt the side/spider gears themselves.

I knew wheelers back in the day who would fill one tooth on a side gear and allow that partial rotation to occur before jamming....er, locking. I blew a diff apart Watched a diff blow apart once...lol

MNorby

Spotter Required
Dec 31, 2016
I tried the whole welding up a tooth on a 14 bolt once 15 years ago. Blew apart and shrapnel came through the stock diff cover. Next one was a solid orb of traction.

Top Bottom